4 yr old extremely skinny! wont eat ANYTHING!

My daughter will be 4 in August. She wont eat anything I cook for her. Only thing she will eat is pop tarts, pizza, chicken nuggets and tacos. I do not give these food on a regular basis and sometimes will be days in between eating for her. She is very skinny, bones show, ribs poke out, her legs look like they will break they are so thin. Im very worried. My 6 yr old on the other hand will eat everything I put in front of him and ask for more! My daughter has been like this since I started her on food at 6 months old. She would only eat the fruits and desserts from the jars and if I tried to get her to try a new vegetable she would spit it out and throw up. Im very worried and frustrated. My daughter looks like Im starving her and I am not. I feel I have an anorexic on my hands....but shes only 4! Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she likes fruit I would start with trying fruit smoothies adding fruit and yougurt with milk and maybe adding a whey protein powder.
    LancesMom

Answer by LancesMom at 11:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• What does the doctor say? I would say, if she's not eating the food you make, be sure to be giving her a multivitamin at least.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Take her to her peds for a chk up. Talk to her dr about your concerns... I was the same way when I was younger, you could count my ribs, tho most of my problem was due to food allergies, my grandson of 9 is also a twig and has no such allergies...
    There are other foods that will give her the nutrition that she needs, when you talk to the dr ask for a ped food chart or contact your local health dept.
    Also try those children insure drinks or high protein drinks for children... those will at least keep her up on her calories...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• CAGirl asked my question about the doctor. I like the smoothies idea, but maybe made with Pediasure or something like that for the vitamins. She should have bloodwork done to see how her iron level is. I'm sure you are aware that kids need some fat in their diet especially at the youngest ages....if she is vomiting (still) after she eats, the doc is going to need to be involved. For now, though I'd say go with the tacos, chicken nuggets and pizza and the occasional poptart...she has to eat something.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My older son was the same way when he was your daughter's age. He was VERY picky! I finally decided that if the foods he will ONLY eat are no longer in the house, he will eventually get hungry, and I can introduce those foods I DO want him to eat! And that's what I did! I literally threw out or allowed him to use up the remaining foods he would eat, then when they were gone, refused to buy more.

I then went ahead and made all kinds of kid-friendly, healthy foods, and snacks, like my own trail mix--nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and bran cereal), and even cookies--like oatmeal raisin, and peanut butter. I also bought healthy granola bars, tons of fresh fruit and veggies--cutting them up into fun shapes, and made quick things like plain, whole grain Eggo waffles, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches with broccoli florets hidden inside, etc.

He soon ate, and bulked up! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My daughter went through a phase where she would only eat very specific foods. And you are right, it can be frustrating when your child will only eat a handful of foods. you can see if she will drink shakes and smoothies since they are loaded with good fruits, yogurts, milk, ice cream, etc. They are also cool and refreshing when the heat is up there. Also, see if she will choose a cereal she likes. She will get the carbs she needs and now children's cereals have other nutritional value as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I cant say I know your frustration because my daughter will eat anything except for meat for some reason. The doctor says she just doesnt want to chew it, so we have no problem with fruits and veggies and I give her bean for protein sine she really wont eat meat, but as far as your daughter. I think children do these things with people they know they can get away with it. I say that because I am a teacher and last year I taught Kindergarten. I had a little girl who mother said she doesnt eat this and this and this and she wont eat that and that and that. In the cafeteria, I tell my kids to put one meat, a starch and a fruit and veggie on their plate. I of course cant make them eat it, but I do try and make sure their lunches in balanced. Ive seen that girl eat beans, brocolli and everythign that her mom say she wouldnt eat at home. Keep trying to introduce foods. Make it look different and try smoothies.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my daughter will be 4 in october and will only really eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs, corn dogs, vienna sausages, cereal, pop tarts and sometimes pizza.. she eats the same stuff every day...i don't know how to help..but you could try giving her pediasure drinks, my daughter loves them!! they give her the nutrition she needs.. and try talking to her pediatrician.. how much does ur dd weigh?
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2010