Do you think the Weather in your area has changed over the years? Becoming more volatile?

Our storms streak in MI seems never ending. We have had harder winters and stormier summer storms than ever? We have ANOTHER storm coming in again! It's crazy!

LancesMom

Asked by LancesMom at 12:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Im in PA and we've had some harder longer winters here. We seem to have a lot more popcorn thunderstorms too.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 12:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Not really. Actually when I was a kid we used to get tons of snow.  It was great.  We spent our whole winter outside playing in the snow.  My kids barely ever see snow now.  It just gets cold but rarely snows enough to actually play in it.

Last summer we had almost no days over 90 (I think none at all in July) and only 2 thunder storms.  This summer we already had a week of 90+ degree temps and it has rained almost every other day.  I've lost track of how many thunderstorms we've had.  We had a tornado warning the other day.  That storm left a lot of damage.

But it's only been this summer that things have gotten worse.  But that seems to be a general thing over all the country.  My brother is in OR and says their weather has been crappy compared to normal.  I'm in Chicago, BTW

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes! Hurricanes, hurricanes, hurricanes.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I live in the middle of the thumb in MI and I have noticed the more cold streaks we have been getting and the longer for Spring with more freeze at night... but as for the rain/storms, for some reason they break or go around us or something bc we have not had anything a sever as we have seen our neighboring towns/cities get them thru out MI... and other surrounding states...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• arkansas just keeps getting hotter and hotter. and the winters are either awful or nothing. last year was an ice storm and it was declared a disaster area and national guard was called out. we were without power for almost 2 weeks. and there have been lots of tornados this year.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm in Northern California, I wouldn't say it has become more Volatile, but it definitely has changed. It is almost July and we haven't had a 100 degree day YET. Which is very odd. It use to be in the 100's late May, now its more like Mid July until it get's really hot.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 12:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm also in MI and I actually disagree with you. I remember it being much worse when I was younger. Winter storms were much harder- with schools being canceled for most of the week and snow 18" deeper than it is now. This last week has been intense with the storms, but its just a week.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 12:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think weather goes in cycles over the years. I don't think things are changing much. However all of the rain is making it mosquito heaven up here and the humidity is making it hard to breathe. So much for outdoor play for a little while.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Not changed unusually, just hit that part of the natural cycle again. There was weather like this when I was a kid, then we got lucky and had mild winters and summers, if hot and humid, and now we're back to stormy but not getting quite as warm again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think the overall temp in my area has gotten warmer. As Jen said, we happen to live in the same city, when I was a kid we used to get tons and tons of snow every year. And now we don't really. Winters in Chicago had been famous for near Arctic conditions where we'd get days where places were closed because it was too cold! Doesn't happen. This summer has been sooooo HUMID and HOT! and its only June! This is weather that we'd usually have in July or August, well, except without all the rain. And its been raining tons and tons here.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2010