So simple a 10-year old can do it? (Oil spill related)

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/is-bp-smarter-than-a-10-year-old-20467971

This link will take you to the video (hopefully). I always tell students to use the KISS (keep it simply simple) method when approaching challenges. This young man has been paying attention--and has a very good idea!

There have been many suggestions and blames tossed around--none of the empty words have stopped the spill. I like this youngster's practical and simple apporach (and I love the safety gear!).

Could it be so easy? Powerful minds tend to overthink.

Dear BP~
Try the KISS approach and let's see what happens!
Sincerely~
The World

Youngwifey2

Asked by Youngwifey2 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This looks like a great idea! A wrench, a steel plate and a robotic arm!
    LancesMom

Answer by LancesMom at 12:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• definitely a novel idea. my cousin has been communicating w/ the coast guard as well trying to put an idea he had into action. it would not completely stop the leak though, just contain it. although his was not really a complicated procedure, this one actually seems more logical.
    loravk

Answer by loravk at 12:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• wow! thinking ouside the box
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 1:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• LOL...I thought KISS was Keep It Simple Stupid! THIS is why I have a REALLY hard time believing that there isnt a solution. I think there IS one that ISNT being utilized because BP is heading this crap up and THEY have NO financial reason to STOP THE FLOW of oil. They want to be able to use the pipe later. If this child and many layman can figure this stuff out WHERE are the brilliant minds in washington!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• What people aren't realizing is 1) this is almost a MILE beneath the water. It's hard to do certain things down there it's not like doing things up here on ground. 2) the amount of methane gas that is being released is VERY dangerous. One spark and the whole thing will go. 3) with all the pressure that is in the well, they can't just "plug it up". That's why the yare drilling releif wells. It's not an easy, cut and dry (so to speak) fix.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 8:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• KISS is keep it simple stupid, but I didn't really think it was appropriate to say it like that to my students. I changed it to suit my classroom. I have been saying it like that for such a long time it just comes out like that now.
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Im not sure the pressure at which the oil is spilling out of the well would allow for this to work. But it is an intresting concept.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 6:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Could an alternate title be, "so simple a caveman can do it"? :-D

Seriously, this oil spill is tragic. I don't know how long it will take the Gulf to recover, if ever.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2010