W CAN I INVOLVE ME 6YR OLD WITH THE BABY?

I HAVE A 6 YR OLD SON AND I THINK HE IS FEELING A BIT LEFT OUT AT TIMES BECAUSE I ALWAYS HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE BABY BESIDE READING TIME WHAT ARE OTHER THINGS I CAN DO TO INVOLVE HIM IN THE CARE OF THE BABY?

veronicamw

Asked by veronicamw at 12:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine are only 21 months apart and my oldest helped with diapering, giving bottles, and "reading" to her little sister (she would make up a story and show her the pics). He would sure LOVE a chance to be a big brother and help! It makes them feel BIG! and it creates a bond than wont be broken between siblings (even later when you swear they are going to kill each other LOL)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Have him help get him dressed and maybe hold the bottle while feeding (if you bottle feed) He can help with diaper changes i have my 2 year old go grab the clean diaper and wipes! Anything you do with the baby you can always ask for help with taht way they feel included! Have him pick out the babys outfit for the day, his choice!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 12:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• 6 yr olds are super helpers! They can help you by gettting things for you, helping hold and take care of the baby. If you breastfeed, you can take that quiet time to read a book to your 6 yr old or have him read to you and the baby if he's able. Try to involve him as much as possible to make him feel included. My SD was 4 when my DS was born. She was a super helper then. I even got my 2 yr old SD in on the action! Yes, there are times when they will still feel left out, but it'll get better as the baby gets older.
    xraydri

Answer by xraydri at 12:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• getting you diapers and wipes. holding him, bathtime, lotioning the baby up after bath, dressing the baby. Feeding the baby if he/she is fed from a bottle. Cuddle time is always good!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have three girls all 6.5 year apart. I made sure my oldest two were involved in everything we did with the baby. They loved helping out. Of course we are talking girls here, boys might be a different story. lol Just make sure you and he spend lots of alone time together at home and out of the home.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and a half and the baby is almost 4 months old. My daughter always helps with diaper changes - she's even done it "herself", which made her feel GREAT. She helps with bath time, dressing up the baby, putting the baby to sleep etc.. For instance, she rocks the baby's crib until she falls asleep and then says "shhh mommy, I just put the baby to sleep". She loves being involved and feeling useful!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 12:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2010