Collecting seeds.

Does anyone out there harvest seeds from the veggies they grow each year, to be used for planting the next year? I'd like to learn how to do it and get some advice if you, yourself do it, instead of buying see packets every year!

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Here are two online seed saver's handbooks: http://www.seedsavers.net/seed-savers-handbook-online and http://howtosaveseeds.com/.

There are also some very good books available on seed saving that you could probably find at your local library.

I've been exploring this idea myself, but first I'm experimenting with different varieties of non-hybrid heirloom seeds to find ones that grow especially well in my area. Once I get growing them well figured out, then I'll work on saving the seeds from my best plants.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You need to be sure the varieties that you are getting your seeds from are NOT hybrids. Seeds from hybrid varieties will not produce the same. You can google a list of non-hybrid vegetable varieties and pick your garden seeds from there.

Really, it's very easy. You find one or a few of the best looking, healthy plants, and let it grow strictly to produce seeds. Let the vegetables fully ripen, then pick. For peas or beans, let the pods get full of huge seeds, pick the plant(s) and hang upside down until dry. Shell the seeds and store in a dry place. For tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and squash just pick the vegetable/fruit and open up to get the seeds. Spread on paper towel and let dry. Store in dry place. For corn, let the plant die and dry out. Pick the cob (or two) and shell. Let the kernels dry. For onions, let it grow until you've got a huge ball at the top. It'll produce seeds.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Carrots & beets produce seeds, but you should bypass their first year seeds and pick the seeds they produce in the second year.

There are too many ways to fit in here. Check out THIS SITE instead!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I was actually wanting to get into this myself. There are TONS of videos on Youtube on harvesting seeds. It is actually a better idea than buying them anyways because you can make your own hybrids that are adapted to your soil/climate/ etc. There are different methods for different seeds so I would suggest looking on YouTube. GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nice! thanks!!!! I'll def. look into that!
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010