This is funny, but why is she offering her "official" opinion to begin with?

First off, some Dems have come to their senses and are speaking up that the US should not sue Arizona. But further down in the article is this:

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., took it upon himself to teach Milwaukee (Wis.) County Supervisor Peggy West a little about U.S. geography.

While discussing a possible boycott of Arizona over the immigration law, West on Thursday suggested she might be more comfortable with the measure if it had been enacted by Texas, which borders Mexico.

"But this is a state that is a ways removed from the border," West said of Arizona.

West later acknowledged misspeaking, but Kyl couldn't resist needling her with a letter - and a map.

"You will be interested to learn that Arizona does indeed share a border with Mexico," Kyl wrote Friday. "I have enclosed a map for your convenience. I hope you will take the time to actually read the Arizona law before formulating an opinion about it..."

(lin

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/06/27/20100627sue-arizona-politics-nowicki.html

Is it common for people to consult the Milwaukee, Wisconsin County Supervisor before making decisions on border security?

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it could have easily been a slip of the tongue. Such as when Obama was camoaigning and said he'd been to 58 states and only had 2 left to cover all of U.S.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• that's suppose to be *campaigning.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• lol whoops dummy! Though that's a tad snarky of him to send a letter and map; but whatever, can't teach other people's children manners.

As to your second question; no one was consulting her per se...apparently several cities feel a need to make a symbolic statement by issuing a 'boycott of AZ'...and it seems there was a meeting/debate held to see if Milwaukee would pass a measure to do so as well and that's where she mis-spoke it just ended up being broadcast on youtube and such...getting her more attention than just a room full of people thinking she's a ditz! lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• And so it goes. We have people in innocuous positions making decisions about such important things and she doesn't even have a rudimentary understanding of the basic geography (or so it seems). I think we should support the states in our union instead of using them to further our own personal agendas as some are doing. Bravo for Sen. Kyle.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• JHC, what an idiot. I've heard it before, though. I once had a friend insist you couldn't get to Mexico without going through Texas. I pointed out that California, Arizona, and New Mexico also share a border with Mexico.

I don't know how many times I spoken to people who didn't know New Mexico was a state.

Really, this woman should not be holding public office.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• "But this is a state that is a ways removed from the border," West said of Arizona.

***
    I watched that video clip a few days ago and LMAO!!! :o) The sad thing is she really believed it, she didn't realize what she was saying. It was almost as if she was reading off of a teleprompter or something!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The give of them give a pretty accurate depiction of US politicians:
    She's an idiot and He's pompous.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The above should read, the 2 of them give-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• that gave me a good giggle.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010