Okay i know it is said to drink 8, 8 oz. glasses of water each day...but recently i heard drink half your body weight in ounces of water...which one is correct?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 12:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I drink about a gallon a day because I work in a hot environment and sweat alot. I really should drink more because if I drank half my body weight in oz I would have to drink 175 oz a day which is 1.4 gallons a day. So I would say drinking half your body weight in oz would be more correct. But depending on your activity level you may need more.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• you never drink half your weight in water. if you drink that much all the nutrients in your body will be flushed out and you'll die of water intoxication
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My doctor told me half my weight in ounces of water. That would be 75 oz. of water a day, and I typically drink 80, so that works great. I was told that my urine should be light yellow or clear, never dark yellow. By drinking that amount of water a day, I meet that rule. I do drink more on hot days or when I'm working harder, sometimes up to 120 oz. a day.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• When not pregnant, I just drink until my urine is clear; that always seemed to be the best measure for me. Now that I'm pregnant though, I have to drink a minimum of 80 ounces to stay hydrated because it gets really hot and humid here. I've heard the body weight thing, but it takes more than half my weight to keep me hydrated, so I never followed that.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010