Kids crying....

At what point do you totally lose your mind hearing kids crying? Even comforting them won't stop it.....they just keep having tantrums and it's driving me insane! Should I just walk out of the room when this happens???

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's what I do.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If you're feeling frustrated and over-whelmed, then first make sure they're not crying over something serious, then it's not gonna hurt a thing in the world for you to walk away to take a few breaths...
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yep, just separate yourself from the screaming and crying. At least that is what I do.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My son just turned one and when he does that i walk out of the room. I wait for him to calm down then go back in. And then I ask him "are you done?" Works great for us.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would ignore the tantrums. If your child is getting "attention" from throwing tantrums then they win per say. Ignoring them shows them that their behavior is unacceptable and you will not give in to it. Good luck!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If no one is hurt, yep, just walk out. It saves the sanity. My rule is if you aren't bleeding or on fire, why are you screaming? The other day we made the rule, you are not allowed to totally fall apart unless the blood is gushing. One of my little girls asked another one the other day if we needed to call the ambulance. Even other children get tired of the ones that are constantly crying. But then seriously, I always check quietly when they cry just to be sure everything is ok.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yep (make sure they are in a safe place and (depending on the age) tell them where you will be when they are finished and when they feel better they may come to see you. and go sip some coffee and relax (as much as possible!) then at this point the tantrum will be over too soon (I know you think you want it to but once you actually sit to sip that coffee you wish it may last forever ha ha LOL LOL)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Same here, I would leave the room, of course a lot depends on the age of the child. Temper tamtrums are done to control the situation. I would make sure that they can't hurt themselves, or something else. Screaming and crying never hurt a kid. Your ears maybe... but leaving them alone is the best thing you can do... if they have used it to get what they want and it has worked it will take longer to get them to stop the behavior... but ignoring usually works... doesn't mean they won't try again and every child is different, one of mine used to follow me and then throw himself back down on the ground beside me a resume screaming... I had to resort to a baby gate on his door... then he would do anything, even stop screaming to not have the gate put up.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yeah. Go to another room and take a few deep breaths then go back in and have your kid to the same.
    It works great.
    Just tell them to take a deep breath and hold it a second then let it out slowly.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If you feel like you may lost your temper and need a few minutes to breathe, make sure kids are safe and not going to hurt themselves and leave the room.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010