My kids walk all over me, I am not a good discipliner, what do I do to make them listen to me?

I have a problem with yelling. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. I cannot help it, what can I do to get through to them?

beckyq

Asked by beckyq at 12:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Watch Super Nanny!
    sondrajoy

Answer by sondrajoy at 1:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Get the book, or read online, Love and Logic approach to parenting. it is wonderful!
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Take a parenting course and grow a pair!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Super Nanny helps! It makes you realize some things that you are doing right or wrong. I have a 5 & 9 year old, who have done the same thing. So I try to be a little more stern with them. They understand Mom has moods and they get on my nerves at times. But we try to sit down and discuss what they have done wrong, and come to an understanding that it won't happen again. There are consequences to what they have done. Let them know, "if you do this....this will happen, if you do that.....then this will happen to you". They learn it take time and PATIENCE!
    momo2girlz

Answer by momo2girlz at 10:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It seems like when you yell at your kids they are not really listening. If you get down to thier level and try to talk in a calmer voice eventually they will listen.
    underthetable

Answer by underthetable at 12:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Start being consistent. You have to be to get them to listen. Stop yelling! Would like you like be yelled at all the time the way you say you yell at your kids? Show some compassion and love to your kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Learn to say what you mean, and mean what you say. Be consistant. Leave the "guilt" behind. I used to be one of those parents. Discipline is not going to hurt, it will help them become responsible human beings. Good luck.
    Mom4Gma2

Answer by Mom4Gma2 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• be consistant and follow through. i frequently have to yell just to be heard over the din my kids create. and remember if they like you all the time, you aren't doing your job right.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Everytime my kids start acting up, I sit them down and ask, "Who's the boss of the house?" (my hubby hates the answer because they say mommy...not mommy & daddy hehehehehe). After they answer "mommy" I ask "Are you the boss of the house?" and they will say "NO". Then I tell them to keep that in mind as they stand in the corner and they both do a time out facing the corner....5 minutes for the 5 year old and 3 minutes for the 3 year old. If they talk or start to play, their time out starts over. It's fustrating, but it gets teh point across even if it is only for a couple of days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Read Love and Logic for Parents
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 11:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2008