Who's Right? Belgian Authorities or the Pope? Your thoughts?

My personal opinion is that the church is just upset that people are not looking the other way anymore but taking these accusations seriously and actually investigating them now.
_________

Several buildings were searched in raids targeting a retired archbishop and the graves of two prelates.

Prosecutors said the action concerned alleged "abuse of minors committed by a certain number of Church figures".

Police in Leuven, central Belgium, on Thursday seized nearly 500 files and a computer from the offices of a Church commission investigating allegations of sex abuse.

They also searched the Church's headquarters and the Brussels archdiocese in Mechelen, north of the Belgian capital.

On Saturday Vatican officials compared the raids and investigation into allegations of child sex abuse with the treatment of the Church under communist rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10427935.stm

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a devoted Catholic. My devotion is for the church, the faith The Lord and Christ...not the people committing crimes or harboring criminals. I think any organization or group...such as schools, day cares, social organizations should do everything possible to protect our children. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

BTW, I think child molestors should get the death penalty.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• "On Saturday Vatican officials compared the raids and investigation into allegations of child sex abuse with the treatment of the Church under communist rule."

Any child abuse should be investigated regardless of who is being accused and what church they belong to. If you're innocent then you should have nothing to worry about.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think the time has finally come when common law has superseded cannon or church law. The Vatican should not be able to interfere with investigations or official proceedings. The church should not be able to hide evidence or shelter individuals who are being investigated. The church is not above it all or special. You break the law, you pay, just as any other citizen. There should be zero special considerations or deals made. Abuse of power is horrible- weaseling your way, with the help of the hierarchy, unconscionable.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Good! Being part of a church should not exempt you from being investigated and/or punished for a crime.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Man a USEFUL addition would have been if they made it to where you could quote people like you do in groups.....this points crap is just useles....

Anywho...I would like to quote Yourspecial kid :) She said it right!! LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The communist party did and still does try to destroy the Catholic church and also all other christian faiths.

Look what they are doing in this country, and even on CM many young girls cut you down if your a christian, and believe in God.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Maybe I'm dense but I just can't make sense of this statement: "Several buildings were searched in raids targeting a retired archbishop and the graves of two prelates."

How do you target a grave?

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 5:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• How do you target a grave?
    ______

I did notice that as well and found it a little odd; the only thing I can think of is possible DNA evidence to use in a case about a cover up? Like we can prove these men did xyz and by your records regarding their transfers and locations etc it appears suspiciously like you were aware and just moving him away from angry parents to another district etc...

But that's just a guess....I have no idea really...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I think the Belgian Authorities are doing the right thing as the RC church has been notorious in covering up child abuse and protecting abusers from civil justice. It is too early to tell if the RC leopard has changed its spots as abuse has clearly been systemic throughout the whole archaic system and a few brave words from the Pope may not make much difference.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2010