Do you leave the TV on just for background noise?

Or turn on the radio? I usually don't like the sound of my home without the background noise of the TV. I have it on right now, I don't even know what's on, but the sound is comforting. It's the silence that bugs me. I've been trying to break the habit.

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 1:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i used to hate the tv on all the time, even as background noise. then i got into the habit of it because my kids watched cartoons, so i'd just turn it on for them, and never remember to turn it off when they ran into their room to play. i was working on that,(until we moved in with family who does nothing but watch tv), keeping the tv off when we weren't watching it, and not watching it as often as we were. too much tv is not very good for you, even as background noise. someone once told me, everyone has to have something on, whether it be the tv, radio, something, people can't stand silence anymore, because if you sit in it too long, you end up thinking of your life and how you're living, some some people just don't like to think about it, especially those who know what they're doing is wrong. it's so true if you think about it. when we get our own place i'll still be working on it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would actually love it to be quiet for 1 minute around here. But the second I go around and turn everything off inevitably someone turns something back on and walks away ( I think everybody else in this house other than me likes the background noise)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 1:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, I do too.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, either the tv or radio. I have to have something. I can't stand silence.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Most times someone is watching something. But if I'm home alone and trying to read, I need quiet.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yes most of the time or for light
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 1:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Sometimes I do, sometimes I play music, sometimes I like the quiet. Like its quiet now.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes. We have direct t.v., so I'll put one of the music channels on for background noise. I hate the sound of silence unless I'm trying to go to sleep.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I've heard others say something similar in regards to "silence".. Not being able to handle/stand silence.

Me personally.. I love silence. I prefer silence when at all possible.. Right now, the only sound that can be heard in my apartment is me typing and the fans.. lol.. My son's quietly on his computer doing something (he's 18), hubby at work.. And my place is full of wonderful silence.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nope. I can't stand the TV on during the day. It doesn't usually go on until after 5pm if at all. We do listen to alot of music though!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 2:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2010