I have one child w/braces on her teeth and I think my youngest needs them too! How do You feel about braces?

It has already cost dh and I a fortune to bring these kids up to 10(my dd) and my ds(6). My dd had all sorts of dental problems. Her baby teeth had to be surgicaly removed since the would not fall out. She had braces at 6. My ds is now starting have some issues. Wow,these kids are both going to need braces! Do you have two w/braces or would you put braces on both or all your kids teeth? How important do think it is in our world to have streight teeth?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 2:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• They are expensive and I wish I had gotten them for my oldest.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had Invisalign. If you're going to spend the money on braces, that's what I'd recommend. I only had to wear them for nine months and I was done. I still have to wear my retainer at night though. Make sure your child is mature enough to wear the braces every day or it can't do it's job. The cost is pretty much the same.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had braces twice, as did my sister. Both of my stepson's had braces and my 11 year old son is getting them. Braces can help with the health of your teeth. My teeth were on top of each so that brushing was difficult and it would have been a cavitities dream. I also looked really strange with how crooked they were. My one step son had a severe over bite and looked bad. While it is wrong, society does judge you on looks and teeth can be important
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I feel u I had to pay 6 grand for my son. $ 200.00 dollars is hard to get up ever month. If my others one don't have gaps no braces for them.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Braces are important if there is a medical need for them. Like an overbite for example. However, if there isn't a medical need for braces then I think they're merely a luxery. A luxery that my children can live without.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• layh41407,OMG! You and your sis had braces twice? What went wrong the first time? Is that a possibility these days? Momma officer,That is about what we had to pay for dd's braces. I think it was almost 6 thousand when we finished. Now on to ds. You almost can't do for one and not the other. KWIM? Ugh.
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'd say it depends on how bad the teeth are and how well your child will care for them. It is much easier to floss & brush straight teeth vs. overlapping and/or severely crooked teeth. Having straight teeth also creates a healthy bite, which in turn can prevent jaw joint pain and/or headaches later in life. My son had two sets of braces, but he also had some structural issues that needed to be addressed due to retromicrognathia, so for us it really wasn't a choice because his breathing & ability to swallow were compromised.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I grew up as one of 5 kids, born within 7 years and we all had braces - there were 3 of us in them at one time. My 2nd and 3rd are only 18 months apart, as are my 4th and 5th, so I'm fairly sure if they need braces they will be in them at the same time. Yes - it's expensive but a lot of times it isn't just for cosmetic reasons, but there is a "medically necessary" reason for them.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• As a former dental assistant and someone who went thru braces twice my stance is that if my kids need orthodontic work, I would get them in and get it done. Braces are not just for 'straight' teeth, they deal with other issues too. If you are worried about cost, ask your Orthodontist if they can set a payment plan--- since it can be a big and ongoing procedure a lot will do payment plans with you. (mine did for both my ortho treatments)
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• They are expensive but to me, worth the cost. I had braces to straighten some very bad teeth. Very crooked and crowded adn it was painful!! I am so thankful to my parents for spending the money to fix my teeth and I will be doing the same for my son, even if it means sacrificing my own needs and wants. Sometimes, it's not just about appearances and crooked teeth, there could be issues with the jaw.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010