How can you make a 2 year old say please and thank you?

my son is 2 and doesnt talk very well. he says some words but only when he wants to. he knows how to say please and thank you but if i try to get him to say it to him say before i give him a drink he refuses and runs away screaming and crying. i will hold the drink and tell him to say please and he will point and reach for it and try to get it but he cries if i tell him to say please first, do i just let him cry and cry without giving it to him?

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont give in.

My son will be 2 next month and he says please and thank you. Well it sounds more like "peas" and "tan-too" but its close. When he use to do that I just wouldnt give it to him. I would say PLEASE as I held the item, shaking my head yes, and THANK YOU as I gave it to him. Now he makes sure to say please whenever he wants something. I give him lots of praise for saying please and thank you, but I also have help b/c he mimics his older brother.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• lead by example. i'v noticed that if dh and i say please and thank you to each other a lot our dd will say it to us.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can't "make" them. They will learn in time. But you can encourage him by using please and thank you yourself.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I repeat it several times. Also stand your ground. If they cry they cry. He will pick up that the only way to get the drink is with these words. :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't give it to him until he said please. Children need to have manners everywhere not just in public. And he shouldn't be able to disrespect you "because your mommy." Everyone says please and thanks you and practices manners in front of the kids so, it is basically and lead by example deal. He will get the idea and catch on. He is only two if you want him to have manners then he needs to have them everywhere. You can also teach him please and thank you in sign language since he has limited speech.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Please and thank-you is learned over time. It also doesn't have to be learned right now. At 2 he has plenty of time to master it so I would not make anything a battle over those two little words.

Lead by example he will learn it in good time, even then you will have to remind him.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My son says "Thank You". Not as much as he used to, but he knows when to use it properly and he's only one. It isn't about the age of the child, it's about what they're learning from. I use "Please" and "Thank You" everyday with my children (even my six month old) and with other people. This not only is polite in general, but I am setting the example for my children. It will take my son a little longer to say "Please", but that's only due to his inability to say certain letters right now.

So in your situation, teach by example. Don't force it upon him, because kids don't react well when they're forced. Just incooperate it in your everyday language and he will catch on. Like I said though, forcing it upon him will only stray him from the process. Kids learn better when they feel it is their choice to take on the lesson. So let him choose when he feels okay to say it. Just be the example.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Def. lead by example. That's not to say don't give him what he's asking for as he's still pretty young. My son has a big sister and she did alot of his talking for him. He didn't talk really fluently until he was 3 years old....but he's completely understandable now ......And he knows his manners as well because during the time when he wasn't talking it was drilled into him, everytime he tried to ask for something we'd say "the right way to say/ask this is..." then we'd tell him the proper way to ask. At first we didn't think it was doing anything but once he started really talking we noticed he was very natural with his please's and thank you's :)
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 2:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think manners can be overdone. We don't say please everytime we ask for something, why should they? Now if it's someone else getting him a drink then he should say it but w/ you its mommy. Practice in public, kids learn best by watching you so watch your p's & q's. Let home be more relaxed & don't worry if he doesn't say it everytime. Pick the things that are important to you he says thank you for like a new toy, let the cup go.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, don't give it to him until he asks politely. You are the one in charge, not him. Also say please and thank you to him when you want him to give you something.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2010