Birth Control Pills- how late is too late?

When it comes to taking birth control, you are supposed to take it at the same time every day. So when is considered "late"? 30 minutes? 1-2 hours? 3 hours?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 2:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Health

• I take mine within the same 2-4 hour time frame daily and *knock on wood* it has been effective for the past 6 years.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It is recommended that you take at "about" the same time each day. Variation is normal, and is nothing that should warrant concern unless we are talking about missing it all together, or taking it...lets say Weds at 8 am, then Thurs at 7 pm, then Fri at 8 am. With that much variation the needed level of the medication will vary too intensly to reach a therapeutic level that allows it to do the job it was intedned to do. It will also depend upon the type of birth control medication you use. Your pharmicist can answer these questions and give you the guidance needed to take it so that it is effective. In my experience, it is best to take within the same "hour" time frame each day. But missing it and taking 3-4 even 5 hours later one day here or there will not be cause for concern. Like I said, you should ask your physician, or call any pharmacy. They can give you a better idea based upon the type, brand and specifics. good luck!
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• For me it depended on the pill. After having my dd I was on a progesterone only pill that if I didn't take it @ the EXACT same time every day I'd start bleeding. When I was younger I was on a different one & I could take it up to 3 hrs.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think it's still best to take it when you do remember, but just use an extra protection for a few days to be sure.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I got pregnant on BC because I wasn't thinking and had sinus infection and took a 5 day antibiotic (yet i was taking BC on time) But..... wouldn't change it for the world!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2010