My son is already 21 months and still isn't talking and i really want him to be talking by age 2. I am a stay at home mom so i was wandering what are some activities i can do with him to help him start talking. Give me everything you can think of because i am determined to get him to talk... thanks moms!

Me and & my husband do speak english & spanish to him but he hears more english since my husband works two jobs but still isn't repeating anything except momma and papa. His pediatrician told us to keep that up cause that would be the best way for him to learn both if we started teaching him now. We really want him to speak both since my family speaks english & my husbands family speaks spanish

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most people are giving you great answers about talking to him all the time. I think you also need to set up reasons for him to ANSWER you. When you are fixing him a drink ask if he wants milk or juice/ leche or jugo...and let him decide. If he just points to what he wants tell him to "Say milk", or whatever. Ask him what color clothes he wants to wear, the blue shirt or the green one, etc. Ask him what he wants to do tomorrow. Or what book to read. I always thought that reading a lot will increase the vocabulary. Good luck. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Just keep up a commentary all day. Keep talking about what you're doing, where you're going. Just keep talking. It feels really weird, talking to someone who can't talk back, but it helps.
    Point to things and say what they are, then point his finger at the same thing and say it, then tell him it's his turn.
    When he does say something else, get really excited and tell him how proud you are of him and what a big boy he is.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You might want to talk to his pediatrician. They are pretty good about coming up with ideas. :-)
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 2:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If he's not talking, talk to your Ped, there may be some resources. my DS talked late and he qualified for early intervention. The 1st thing they started w/ was sign language. Simple words like "more" and 'Please" Literally, about 5 min after his teacher showed him the sign for "more" he said the word too...his 1st word! So though it may seem counter intuitive, sign language really works. You can find the signs online or in books.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Talk to him about EVERYTHING! When I take dd, 14 mo, shopping I name the items as I put them in the cart, ask her what's next on the list, point out bright things. @ home I name everything she points to or is playing w/ "Are you playing w/ your blocks? what color is that block? What shape is the block? That's right its a red block & blocks are square. She's not responding w/ too many words yet, duh she's not supposed to but she mimics the sounds I make. You may want to get him evaluated by a speech pathologist. My mom's one & she says by this age he should be able to say: Mama, dadda, whatever you call their drink, pet's name. The most important thing is trying to talk not actually saying things that make sense. If he's not mimicing you then you need to get him evaluated.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Like a previous commenter said, keep a dialogue going. Also, my daughter had a speech therapist for a week or two b/c I was worried like you are at that age. She said to demonstrate, like put your hands up and say "up" and he will catch on. As long as he makes good eye contact and is otherwise developing well I wouldn't stress too much. My daughter is very verbal, and she started really talking around that age, up to after she turned two.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• how much interaction does he get with other people/children? this could be a big help, being around others hearing and conversing with them. he probably hears a lot of the same words being with you at home.
    just a suggestion.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• have you taked him to ped to get referral?
    my daughter was not talking at that age, got referral, speech therapist can to house
    she gets speech, Ot and play therapys one hour each, once a week each
    she has tested (friday) at 24 months and she is 35 months
    she is also being tested for autism

if you think your child is behide in speech, get referral to have him checked by speech therapist
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My dd is about that age and barely talks either. The other day my dh and I babysat for a 2 year old little boy and the moment he left I noticed my daughter was speaking more. SpongeBob came on TV and she said, "Bob-Bob" but she has also been saying, "No, mine" a lot now too. Getting your son together with other kids his age could help, but just be prepared that he could also be learning things you don't really want him to either :(

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 2:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Good for you for having a bilingual household! Its true that it takes children longer to talk that are from a bilingual household. But 21 months is a good time to get your school district involved. I have a child in my daycare that is that age and they have started some sessions to help him get started. The longer you wait the harder it can be if there is a problem. The school can test him to be sure everything else is ok and then they can help him and you with some valuable tools to get things going.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010