Are you currently using your college degree in the field of your major?

My Bachelor's degrees are in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology, and when I graduated I did work in a Sports Medicine rehab facility, and later as an Athletic Trainer for a local college. But I soon found that I could make A LOT more money in the Pharamceutical industry, and so I became a Sales Rep Trainer! I then pursued my Master's in Health Management.

I eventually married, had children, and became a SAHM for a few years, now I'm back in the working world but as a Special Education Teacher--I was able to take online courses and completed my student teaching and state certification exam when my children were in school.

Has something like this happened to you? Did you completely change career paths? If so, why? Was it a lackluster job market, or did your interests change?

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 3:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, Child Development. But I also have a background in accounting. Got out of that specialty and now I have a business in child development. Both come in handy.

One of my daughters just graduated with a major in Biochemistry. She was pushed to go to graduate school, only to get in more debt to get a job that would pay her no more than with her BA so she chose to enter the job market. Most of her friends went on to graduate school since the job market is so crappy. Now she is working for a federal agency where everyone has a masters or doctorate, she has her BA and came in at a higher level. More is not necessarily better I guess.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nope. I have a Bachelor's degree in Women's Studies and a Law Degree (J.D.) and I am a SAH, homeschooling mom and loving it! Though I guess you could say I do use my law degree when I am teaching the kids about government. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nope, all my degrees (5 of them ) are collecting dust

Answer by admckenzie at 3:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Rats! I did it again (we really need an edit button for answers). I forgot to answer the last part of the question. I don't really use either of my degrees because when I was studying for the bar exam I was a SAHM and found just how much I loved being with my children all day. Maybe one day I will go back to the work force. But right now, I feel that my place is at home with my children, not working 80+ hours a week.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Admckenzie, what are we going to do with you?
    I have an associates and bachelors in nursing and am working on my MPH. I'm a nurse, have been for 31 years. (WHAT???, everytime I say stuff like that I don't understand it!)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nope.. My MSW is just laying around ...lol

I left my career in Social Work, 8 years ago due to career burnout.. I don't see myself going back into the field anytime soon. I've been a SAHM these past 8 years. And even though my only leaves for college end of summer/this fall, I have no plans of going back into the fray..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• wow above answer ....not using 5 degrees, ...I wish the very best of all your new hopes and that all those dreams come chasing YOU:) That would be perfect, not to mention something to write a book about. ! Have a great week ! !
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Is pharmacy technology or pharmaceuticals really a good thing? I am not a med type person and the post you've made is nice, and it's great if you have an audience for drug dependent people, but (and I hope you the best), but this day and age, aren't we moving towards more unscientific whole food, organic and holistic preventative health . If I were of old age, even then I don't see myself as needing to be drug pharma dependent, I see it for possibly just anesthetics and that's it. Honey is even good for healing , just ask me and I'll prove that .
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No. I majored in Economics and I'm now a sahm. I worked in commercial banking for years, but I don't have any intentions of returning to work.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think some of these people are just answering for sheer points, (like me...he he ) Learning anything is great, just beware of all those so-they-say- made-in -the-shade-typed jobs, their are NONE
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2010