How far do you go when helping your child with homework?

Just curious as I just helped my own dd with her's. Do you just do it for them? Do you just motivate them to get going with it? Do you let them do it and you check over it? Do you just make sure it got done?

Asked by admckenzie at 3:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mom always did my math for me, which both of us knew was wrong. I would just get soo frustrated and she'd get soo frustrated that she'd just do it. If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have taken advantage of that, because I know basic math and that's it. Numbers and I never have gotten along, I'd not be a mathamatician by the least. I would just know more then I do now. And it's not her fault it's mine.

I know that my kids will do their own homework. I will guide them along and help them figure it out, but by no means am I doing my homework for my kids. They have to learn this material and not just because the state requires them to. They have to know if so that as they're growing up they can apply what they know to their lives.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have her do it, then check over it and point out things that were wrong and ask what she thinks is wrong with it.
    But, she was only in preschool so her home work equaled letter recognition and numbers.
    She does have work books she does at home and does 2nd grade math and on the few she gets wrong, I just ask if she's sure that she wants that for her answer and she goes back to it and is like "oh, yeah, I get it now".
    I don't agree with doing it for them. They don't learn like that. There's nothing wrong with looking over it though.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Well, we homeschool (our kids are 10, 8 and 3) so there really isn't any homework. We do the lessons for the day, experiments, reading, writing. But once school time is over, there's nothing else to work on (as far as schoolwork - most of the time the kids are learning something when they are simply playing).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• When I was a teacher aid in high school we would show them how to do an odd math problem, (since the teachers never assigned odd problems) and then have them do the even problem. And after they were done we would check and make sure it was right.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 3:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I motivate them check it over and help them by showing them what isn't done right, but by the end of the year or last 2 months they've had all they can take, and I just love them having it done or not. they can always catch up the missed papers some other day. Or not
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have to sit with my youngest and make sure he is working and read some of the directions and paragraphs for him. He is dyslexic and is 2-3 years behind in reading. His comprehension is great so once I read it then he gets it and almost always knows the answer.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• As a rule I sit with them and guide them. But I have to admit to doing it on occasion, mainly when something comes up that I can't get out of and they have no help doing it. I know it's not the best thing but it has only happened a couple of times.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I check it and if he misses anything I tell him to go redo the ones that are wrong. If he has questions I'll show him an example, but using different scenarios or numbers, not with the same problem/question on the assignment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2010