What was your first job?

I'm talking about when you received your first paycheck (not babysitting, or doing chores)?

LOL...Thirty years ago, when I was 12, I was LEGALLY able to apply for my social security card (they weren't automatically issued at birth, back then!) in New Hampshire, and work! My family vacationed at a campground up there--it was the late 70's/early 80's after all, and I applied and worked at the nearby "Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park!!" LMAO!

I did ride my bike to and from work, and did odd jobs from running the movie projector, to working in the campground store--stocking shelves, inventory, AND dressing up as Boo Boo Bear wearing a 25 pound FUR costume in 90 degree heat!! LOL

For my efforts I was rewarded with a whopping $2.52 per hour! My first paycheck was for about $70, and I promptly opened my own savings account! I thought it was cool to be going into 8th grade with something like $500 to spend! :o)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 3:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• My first was Jack in the Box. I won't say what I made and hour..but it wasn't as much as the OP..lol.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Macy's. I liked getting the discount on clothes
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I worked at a pet store. Got the job just a couple of days after I turned 16. I bought a pair of real leather gloves with my first paycheck, my mom would heve never spent money on something like that!
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Fast food place. I was 16. I can't even remember what I made per hour it was SOOOOOOO long ago. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I worked for an investment company. With a degree we got $5.00/hr. Wow! I rode the bus to work, no car.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My first job with a real paycheck was as bus monitor while in high school. I got paid to ride the bus home, all I had to do was go to the head start/preschool room in the elementary school, gather up the little kids that rode my bus, sit with them, and hand them off to their parents at their stop.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• LOL - you just dated yourself!! My first "real" job was working at Blockbuster!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 3:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I worked at Coldstone Creamery, serving ice cream at 15. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• 15 - McDonalds - $4.25/hr
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I worked at a Christmas Tree farm when I was 14. I went out daily with a machete and hacked tree's into perfect Christmas tree shapes. Sprayed them, weeded watered etc. It was really tough work and I honestly have no recollection of how much I got paid!
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 3:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010