Preschool

What all do they teach kids in preschool? My daughter starts in August and I was really curious so I can start working with her.

Decker

Asked by Decker at 4:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son just finished 3 year old preschool and they worked on writing their name, recognizing letters, all shapes, colors, sharing, playing well with others, following directions ,ect. They gave us a list of things to work on over the summer for next year and it includes, knowing their address, telephone number, working on coloring inside the lines, holding a pencil properly, and cutting WELL with scissors.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Well my son was learning to write his name, spelling easy words, shoe tying, getting along and sharing. I think preschool is a more social learning setting
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• There is no hard-and-fast answer. What they teach will depend completely on the school you've selected to send her to. I wouldn't worry about teaching her specific academics before she starts. Focus on self-care skills, peer-communication, following directions. Things like, how to put on her own jacket, how to button, zipper, etc. If she's not already comfortable staying without you, start working on the concept of mom leaving but coming back to pick her up later. For the most part, preschool is more about the social, emotional aspects of school readiness than anything else. Yes, they'll be learning age appropriate academics - BUT - the goal here is to get ready for school...and that's more about readiness skills than hard-core learning academics. Unless, of course, you've selected a highly academic prechool program. The best way to asnwer your question, is to reach out to the school itself and ask.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ki learned to write her letters and numbers and recognize them. She learned the months of the year, days of the week, and how to recognize them written down.
    She learned to write her full name. Getting along with other kids, sharing, listening to other adults besides parents.
    Basic math (1+1, 2+2).
    Before we had to take her out, they were getting ready to learn time.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• ABC's - upper and lower case formations, write their name, work on their fine motor skills (using scissors, holding a pencil & crayons the proper way). Alot of social skills are learned too.
    You can get a preschool workbook and work on it with your dd. There are also lots of prek websites.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 4:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can find a general scope and sequence here:
    http://www.worldbook.com/typical_course_of_study.html
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 6:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My daughter will be 3 when she starts but will turn 4 a month after, so she is going to be in with the other 3 year olds. I just hope that she doesnt feel out of place.
    Decker

Comment by Decker (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010