Trying to fin a job any advice.

This will be my first job. I was just wanting some advice to help me out some.I am going monday to turn in my applications.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• In an interview.

You need to "sell" yourself. A company really doesn't want to know what the company can do for you. They want to know what you can do for the company, what you bring to the table.

Confident in your ablities and skills is a must.. Cockiness however is not.

Since this is your 1st job.. Don't have an "entitled" attitude while interviewing. In other words. Knowing that you will most likely be low man on the totem pole (depending on the job & your education qualifications) don't expect to be paid like (or get the same benies) as someone higher up the ladder. Some people going into their first job (my husband actually had this happen last week when he was interviewing a young man in his early 20's) feel like they should start off higher than they actually will. Don't be that gal.. lol

Dress professionally for the interview.

Maintain good eye contact (that shows confidence)

GOOD LUCK!!
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree with pixie trix. However, I would add reserching on your part of the company nothings worse than showing up for an intreview and not doing your homework. What this does is show the interviewer see that you are serious, reliable and into being a problem-solver. how it shows that is that you took time to figure out your possible company.

Also ask questions if there is something that is unclear to you.

Good Luck Hope it goes well for you
    P.johnson

Answer by P.johnson at 4:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• advice on... interviewing? looking for a job? applications/resumes?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Interviewing
    K3lly94

Comment by K3lly94 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would appreciate advice also. I've been to some horrible interviews and it scares me to try again. Maybe someone can help?
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• P.johnson

Those are great additions!!! Especially the researching the company.. If you know about the company, it's goals, ect. You have a better idea of what they are looking for, and the type of skills/qualities that will help you move ahead in the company.

Good questions to keep in mind if you are not clear on the subject, or they just didn't go into it (which happens): Pay level, the raise structure in the company (how often, do they give cost of living raises), promotion structure in the company (do they prefer to promote from within or hire from the outside), benies given and what it takes to qualify, do they have a 401k or some other retirement plan, vacations, sick days (if they have them), any bonuses given/what for.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Research the company and position. Be prepared with great questions and great answers. Create a Linkedin profile, and keep it up to date. Stay in regular contact with your references. There are lots of great tips and resources in the Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010