How do you decide if your sources are accurate and non-biased?

I'm talking about sources for:

political information

medical information

and others.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 4:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• For news: Non-editorial, reputable, and the same story appears in more than one place in the same form. Generally, to avoid whining, I'll keep looking for the same story from a "better accepted" source even if it appears word for word on all of them. It's funny how the exact same story from CNN is ok with some people but when it says FOX at the top it's biased. The ones I don't buy - blogs, editorials, partisan & privately owned websites (huffpo, KOS, heritage). If I copy and past pieces of the article into google and every hit comes back with "blog" it's not good enough.

For more factual debate: Surveys have to be real, with documented methodology (like Pew) not the kind in the margin on the morning news show homepage. Anything else I look for journal articles that back it up over a news commentator.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Pretty much all information is biased somehow, unfortunately. You just have to dig a little deeper. Here's what I usually do: If it's on television, it's biased. Television is paid for by advertisers. It is all biased.

If it is a medical study, I try to find out who funded it.

Look online for unfunded opinions like news blogs. Also, read a variety of news sources. You can get the big picture by sifting through all the various agendas.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I try to find out who's money and ideology is behind the source. Then use common sense.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I google the source and see who is responsible for the site, magazine, research, etc. I also see what is the advantage to the researchers if the results show a certain trend or result. Peer reviewed is required for graduate research, but the global warming debacle has show that to be not all it is crackled up to be.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I look for the same information coming from many different sources. I figure if they are all different, with different backgrounds and views on other things, then it's not so biased.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No such animal... I read huffpo, I read fox, I read anything...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It's all about going to the original source. If it is a study or poll, you need to know who paid for it and if they used a reasonable methodology. I listen for facts and sift out the descriptions.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Lots of research from all ends of the spectrum. I don't watch cable news because I don't have cable and prefer to read so I am not feeling like I am influenced by a pundit's voice inflection, tone, facial expressions, etc. That probably sounds weird, but that is how I like to fact find.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Lots of cross referencing and trying to track down the most basic facts instead of opinions...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i look to see what the opposing view says, review the reasoning and make up my mind on what to believe!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010