How the heck to you keep your house tidy?

I have been cleaning for the past three days. I get one room clean and I go back to another one and it looks as though I have never been there! My house will never be tidy enough for company it seems like. I don't want to be a slob!

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 4:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• There are two rules that really help me.

1. Never put anything down where it doesn't belong. That means no leaving mail on the table (sort and file when you bring it in), putting groceries and other purchases away when you come in, putting away a game after you're done playing instead of putting it to the side. That's not to say that you can't put down an empty glass while watching TV but when you stand up after the show or at the break you take the glass and put it in the dishwasher or wherever you store dirty dishes till washing.

2. Never have empty hands. If you're going upstairs grab something that needs to go upstairs like clothes or books or whatever. Before leaving the bathroom check for full trash or items to be recycled. When you get out the car grab some trash or excess outerwear that's lying around.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My kids help (they are 10, 8 and 3). When they have a hand in helping to clean it up, they are less likely to mess it up again (they really dislike cleaning).

When I first de-cluttered my whole house it took forever. About 2-3 weeks. Once that was done it was simple to put in daily, weekly and monthly chores and just stick with the list. Now I deep clean once a week (with the kids doing their part too) and it stays "company ready."
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• mostly spot cleaning.

putting things in their place and stuff like that. I also do a small tidying up sweep before bed - clear off the kitchen counter, put laundry in the hamper, pick up the random kid toys in the living room, etc.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I know I have to do it when they kids are in bed and they pick up all their stuff befor bedtime.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Idk... I gave up years ago. With four kids and a lazy hubby I can't keep up! :D The thing that's great about having older kids is that they have to help me now. It's still not enough to keep everything tidy though.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The best way for me to keep mine tidy is to invite people over. This motivates me to clean.

Answer by Bmat at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• By getting the rooms 15 min ready and what I mean by that is organizing the room in such a way that it only takes 15-20 minutes to clean it the next time. The problem with that is that you need to keep up with the rooms quite often to keep it 15 min ready. Mind you we are kid free until September, so I am expecting that to change a little. I hope not though. :P
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 5:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If you make a mess, clean it up..NOW, not later! If you put it there, pick it up...NOW, not later! If it's garbage, throw it away..NOW, not later! (are we seeing a pattern here! LOL)
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 5:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2010