WANTED:Discipline techniques that WORK???

My kids are ages 5-12 and they do not listen to me. It is getting very frustrating and i know there is not a "quick fix" but I desperately need some ideas on things that will work. I know that first and foremost i need to be consistent.I am working VERY hard on that. The thing is, I haven't always been and they just think I am messing around, they dont take me serious. I have tried time-out, taking things away, early bedtime, and so on but they just dont seem to get it. They are really strong willed and i am getting to my wits end. Anyone have anything that they have used that is particularily effective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Being firm and consistent from the beginning. I established myself as head of the pack very early. This doesn't help you, though, and I'm not sure what to suggest other than set the boundaries and keep it up. Especially your 12 year old will complain, but they'll be better off knowing that you are strong.

Answer by Bmat at 4:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• They need to be given a consequence for their actions. If they won't get off the wii when you tell them too (for example), you need to take it away for a week. However, you can't take it away just to give it back in a day. They need a consequence for everything thing they do wrong, just like in life! The world doesn't come without consequences, right? Give them a choice... "I'm leaving in 3 minutes, if you're not dressed, you are going with me without pants". If they don't, they go to the store in their underwear. Don't worry about what ppl think. The kids will learn fast! You can't keep protecting them and bailing them out with exceptions.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I was a counselor for children with behavior disorders and one thing we did, would be to make sure their day stops until whatever you ask them to do is done. Let them know that watching tv, going out to eat or to do something fun is not a right but something earned.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Why would they listen to you when you don't listen to them? Discipline isn't a good thing for anyone. I think that you should try reading Naomi Aldort's approach... naomialdort.com It works.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree 100% with lilangel00. It works 100% only when you stick by say what you mean,and mean what you say! Do not give in to the whining,screaming annoyances be strong be mom!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree with the other moms, you need to be consistant. We dicipline according to what they do. If they are told to do something and they don't do it they get put in time-out, and if they start whining or back talking they are in their room for the day, no exceptions. My youngest and her friend got the brilliant idea the other day to egg someones house, she not only got spanked and grounded for a week both girls had to go over and apologize then they got to scrub the entire garage door clean.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010