how old do your kids need to be before you allow them to go the pool with a friend and their parents?

my daughter is a good swimmer -is it ok to let her go with her friend to the pool

fourkidssoon

Asked by fourkidssoon at 4:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dd is 7 and not a swimmer (though she can go underwater just fine).
    She just went yesterday. But I trust the mom, and she knew that my dd could not swim. She kept me updated via text and some Facebook pictures. :)
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 4:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If she is a good swimmer, I wouldnt worry.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• How old is she? I am kind of paranoid about water. My daughter is just learning to swim. She's three. I don't take my eyes from her if she's near water.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would have to know the mom really well and be comfortable with my child's ability to swim. If they are going to a public pool the lifeguards should also be watching the children as well. Trust your instincts though:)
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If the place has lifeguards, than I'd let my friends parents take her, but I like to take my children myself. I believe it's more of a child thing wanting to show their moms they can swim well. Men seem to think that the child of doing well is showing them once and then oh, ok, i see you , and it's over, moms.....we're different we want to show them how to swim and let them come to us, we help them in shallow and deep water, so I have no problem with children, and learned at camp very young, I was approved to be lifesaving at age 10. It stays forever. I don't even like to leave them to go pee. (for more than a second, or i'll take them too. ) Dangerous world out there
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I mean when they or my self have to use the toilet < I am going together.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I've had my kids go with friends as young as 2 & 3...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Anytime. They other parent would know my kids swimming abilities and I would make sure they were going to a pool with lifegaurds.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It depends on the parent and whether or not there are lifeguards at the pool. My kids went with my mom to her neighborhood pool with lifeguards as early as a year old (it also has a separate gated baby pool). But I do not allow my 8 year old daughter (who is an excellent swimmer) to go to our neighborhood pool without lifeguards with her best neighborhood friend because I don't trust her mom (her mom goes down there and drinks mixed drinks, several at a time, and socializes - she doesn't really watch her child or mine).

Answer by missanc at 8:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i would go with her! my dd is 7 and i still dont trust people w her. shoot my older kids are 17 &16 and im just now letting go and trusting
    4littlegreens

Answer by 4littlegreens at 9:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010