• In the Spotlight:

How do you REALLY feel about breast feeding?

I have a one month old. I am BF. It's actually going well for my son. I am even able to pump a lot better than with my first (5 oz at a time). I want to stick with it for at least a year for it's best, and cheaper than formula too.

I have to admit, I don't get this great joy out of it. Sometimes it's like a big, unenjoyable chore to me. I guess I feel this way for my son feeds a LOT. 85% of the day I am either attached to him or a pump. My breasts are sore, and BIG too. I can't even sleep without wearing a bra anymore. It kind of bums me out here and there.

Like I said, I am going to stick to it for my son. I just don't get all excited about it as others do. Am I alone here??? Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I felt that way the first month too, but after about 6-8 weeks, it gets so much easier! That is when it becomes enjoyable. Also when you realize you never have to carry, wash, sterilize, make a bottle... that is when it gets WONDERFUL.

Good for you sticking it out even if it isn't great yet. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No, you aren't alone. Not all moms get all happy-sappy about it. When I was a LLL leader, I talked to moms who all sorts of reactions to breastfeeding. Even some of the moms who are committed and really enjoy it still have moments where they're just tired of doing it ALL the time. But that's just part of being a mom, I think. Whether it's breastfeeding, or changing diapers, or playing Candyland for the umpteenth time, we all have parts of being a mother that we don't necessarily enjoy but that we still keep doing because we feel it's best for our kids.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• to each her own
    i found it convient (especially in middle of night)
    i found it personal and touching and something only i can do
    BUT
    i also found it to tie me down and i was a sahm
    can not even imagine breast feeding and working out of the house
    then i think i would have flet like a milking machine more than i did

bravo to working outside the house mom s who also breast feed

pumping at work-yikes=you go girls!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The first month is impossible. No one tells you to expect to be nursing 20 out of 24 hours a day... Ugh! But I consider it selfish to not, at least, try it. If it doesnt work, i doesnt work. Its hard!
    Although I found it incredibly hard and stressful, I'm glad I did it and I'm glad its over. I hated pumping. Good for bonding? eh... Not so much!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't think anyone is excited to do it, we just know it's what's best.

Try only pumping 2x's a day so your breasts can go down a bit. One in the morning for that night time engorgement, once in the evening. I got a great supply that way, and stock up.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i feel that maybe later you will feel differently. the beginning is the hardest part
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 5:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I BF my four children. I enjoyed it, but just like everything about motherhood there are times when you just need time for yourself.
    If I was tired, I had my DH give a bottle during to night and sometimes during the day. You can supplement with formula, it will NOT hurt the baby! When you supplement, later you can pump for future feedings. You have to remember being a Mom is NOT an easy job, especially being a new mom. If you don't take care of yourself, you'll have no energy to care for your family. If possible give a bottle and let other people (DH, maybe grandparents) help you. A few hours to yourself, you'll feel like a new person.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• it is a lot of hard work and dedication. it is a job!
    i will say that after breast feeding twins, one is a breeze!
    it is not easy. in the beginning is the hardest. like others said you will be sooo thankful when you are not washing bottle and dealing with formula!
    soon you will be able to clean the house while breast feeding!!
    you could read a book, or relax and watch tv while breast feeding.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I cant relate to how you feel about nursing but having to wear a bra everynight is tough to get used to but its so worth it. Im the total opposite of you, I was so scared that my baby would not latch on like my son did right away but boy was I wrong, she refuses to take anything besides the boob and wont even take a binky and shes already about to be 11 weeks. Having that bond is the most rewarding thing about being a mommy. I actually love waking up 2-3 times a night to nurse lol she eats her milk or drinks it and I eat my cookies and water lol. I nursed my son for as long as he wanted which was 13 months but I really hope my daughter takes longer cause my son was just so active he couldnt sit still long enough. Overall I love it and It honestly brings my children closer to mommy on top of staying home with them and them going to be homeschooled :) You will do fine, point is your sacrificing to give him the best milk.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I loved it. It was the one time when I was able to really stop and focus only on my baby.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2010