I know they say kids have a mind of their own but how to i get him to mind me

my son is 2 1/2 n no matter how many times i put him n time out or spank him or yell he will turn around n go back by the road run from me when i try to punish him spit on me when i yell or scream really loud what can i do

angel_add_2003

Asked by angel_add_2003 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In a firm voice tell him that behavior isn't good. Be firm and follow through with what ever you tell him to do. ( have a 21/2 year old and he is the same way and when I tell him firmly and follow through he listens)
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Stop hitting and yelling. Just stay consistent in what you are telling him. OR sometimes you just do not react to the tantrum or whatever is happening rather give good attention to when they behave well. You really have to watch too and avoid situations that may cause the tantrums. Like do not leave someplace he likes abruptly or take something away quickly because you are setting yourself up for a fit. Instead say..we are about to go bye bye. Let's wave goodbye. Sometimes allowing him to touch everything in the room with you together so things do not get broken to feed is curiosity rather than chasing him around telling him no or spanking his hand. Stuff like that. They are sooooo curious at this age so feed it. Remember 2 does not last forever...so count to ten a lot! I had twin 2 yr olds with a 3 yr old sister. I know what you are going through. :P
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 6:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Most two year olds dont really understand yelling and spanking very well, they are great imitators so when he yells back at you its because its what you do. If this is during outside time, then before you go out you warn him ONE TIME "do not go into the street, if you go into the street we can not play outside." Get down on his level and SPEAK to him (dont yell) make sure he looks at you. Then you can go outside...
    As soon as he does it IMMEDIATELY take him by the hands, get down on his level and say "since you ran into the street we have to go in the house." AND DO IT. Of course he will yell and scream. Ignore ALL of that. Once he calms down, and is behaving well, you can try to go outside again... but REPEAT to him before you go out EXACTLY what you said before.
    it is all about consistency and repitition. NOT yelling and spanking.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A mind of their own doesn't mean a logical or well-informed mind. The parent needs to be in charge. Firmness and consistency. Never making a threat you aren't willing to carry out. And something that worked for us was that we said it only once and then took action, none of this I'll count to three stuff or if I have to tell you again. These methods show the child that the parents don't mean it at times. We meant it the first time, and they knew it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010