my step daughters wants to call me mommy

My step daughter is wanting to call me mommy. When her mom heard wind of that is was a huge deal! I am expecting a baby in november, so in a way I understand that i would be uncomfortable with my child calling someone else mommy. So I told her she cant call me that cause she already has a mommy. I have been in her life and with my husband for two years now. So every once in awhile she calls me momma. The other day she asked why will the new baby get to call me mommy but she cant. How do i make her feel equal?

siemomma

Asked by siemomma at 6:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't see anything wrong with her calling you mommy. If this is something she wants to do then let her. Yes, I know her bio-mom will be very upset about it, but she can get over it. (jmo)
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It being her idea I would let her call you mommy, there is nothing wrong with it at all.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Tell her the new baby will be your baby, so it he/she can call you mommy. But she already has a mommy.

Answer by louise2 at 6:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• What about a different variation on the title Mommy? Like "Mommy (your name)" or Momma, or Mom-Mom, etc?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think you should just let her call you mom or else shes going to felt left out and hurt when your daughter gets to and she cant. Her bio-mom will just have to get use to it and understand that's what happens when her daughter gets a step mom.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• maybe you should let her give you a nickname that only she can call you since her mom isn't comfortable with that.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 6:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A couple years ago I got married to a wonderful man named Chris. My son Cameron was already seven years old and had been accustomed to calling my husband Chris. However, after we were married, he wanted to call Chris "Dad." Chris told him that he, my son Cameron, now has two dads. One "real" dad and a "step"-dad. Chris further explained to my son that Chris loves Cameron as a son, but it is too confusing to call two people "Dad." Therefore the first "Dad" keeps the title 'Dad" and the second "dad" gets to be called by his real name. That seemed to be sufficient. Now I am pregnant with twins and Cameron thinks it is pretty cool that he is the only "kid" that will be able to call my husband by his first name.
    JenDuda27

Answer by JenDuda27 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My best friends step daughter is 4 she calls her mom "mom" and she calls my friend "momma velvet" (her name lol) It works out well and her mom doesn't mind...maybe discuss it with her mom and find out if there is something her mom would feel comftorable with...
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think out of respect for the mom, you shouldnt let her call you mommy. Then that way it would avoid drama between you and mom
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 6:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with her calling you mommy either. It is sweet of her, and it would make her feel more a part of you. If you just can't see it, then how about mommom, or mama, or momsie, - something like this?

Answer by Bmat at 6:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010