Do you consider yourself a feminist?

And what does that mean to you?

LittleWeloosMom

Asked by LittleWeloosMom at 6:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I consider myself to be a Feminist.

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people." ~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No. I consider myself an equalist. I believe that men and women should be equal in the home, workforce, and community. Is this how things really work...NO, but hopefully someday they will.
    NIKopotamous

Answer by NIKopotamous at 7:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• But is equal pay really 'special' treatment?

It is when you're also getting a free pass to take off work every time you're pregnant or have a sick child and your co-workers are taking up your slack without being paid part of your salary. AFAIC being paid for what you do is equal pay. Most of the data showing women make less is skewed - firstly because it compares all women to all men and ignores that women are more likely to work part-time retail while men are more likely to to work full time. Secondly because it never accounts for job performance. Someone is who is there and working every day, not taking a dozen phone calls from their kids every day, not leaving early once a month to get a sick kid, not taking 6 months off for pregnancy, has a better job performance than someone who does by default.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• But that assumes that women are automatically the primary childcare provider, if she is the one skipping work to care for the children, taking calls, etc. Men are also eligible for family leave time after a baby is born. My boyfriend and I worked in the same office when my baby was born and he got just as much time off as I did. He just split his up.

And if you look closely at the stats you'll find men who are primary caregivers make less than their childless peers. Same goes for women who do not have care-age children - they make more than working mothers. It's not assuming, it's just that the usual stats gloss over it. Single fathers get the shaft in the workplace, as do those who honestly try to share duties equally.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The term feminist has a huge negative connotation to me. I am for equality, to me feminists are the female equivalent to _________ right's activist.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nope, I do not want nor do I expect special treatment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• But is equal pay really 'special' treatment? I think feminism should be those fighting for gender equality, not extras based on gender. I think feminism has a bad connotation for many people because of what the media chooses to cover.
    LittleWeloosMom

Comment by LittleWeloosMom (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes and no. I'm a feminist in the sense of supporting women's right to be what ever they want, but I think many women take it too far. Equality is good. I DO recognize that maybe there are jobs that a man's body may be better suited for, but I'll be damned if they tell me a woman CAN'T do it too and maybe even a little better.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 7:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

And also what you say brings up a great question: why are most women only working part-time retail jobs? Is it because their career aspirations are the ones that automatically get put on hold so the couple can have children?
    LittleWeloosMom

Comment by LittleWeloosMom (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No I am not. And I consider a feminist someone who wants equality. I don't agree with that.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 7:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010