help help help

we just got a tornado warning telling us to take cover...
we have never had one here, do i need to throw canned food and stuff in the closest?? do i need to take the kids there now??? i knwo this sounds stupid but we have never had one.

Trotterswife

Asked by Trotterswife at 7:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Go the the center of your house, away from outside walls and windows.
    Cover yourselves with a thick blanket.
    You don't need any food, you won't be there long and the cans will just fly and hit you.
    Take down any pictures or anything heavy over your heads.
    Block your children with your own bodies.
    Bathroom or hallway closet is best, it's in the center and the bathroom has the pipes.
    Stay there until the warning has passed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• you need to get in to and interior room. or bath tub. get as many walls as you can between you and the outside wall. or Basement if you have one. put a matress on top of you and your kiddos or blankets for protection.
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, get in a basement if you have one. If you don't then an interior closet or room with no windows. If you can grab water, flashlights on your way then good, but a warning means there is a tornado in your area. You should have a battery operated radio or other device where you can get news.

Answer by Bmat at 7:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I would listen for a train horn sound. If you hear it take cover. No need to have can good with you. Try to put a mattress over y'all.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think that is what she meant: throw canned goods where they won't be flying around to hit someone if there is a tornado.

Basement is the best. The others have it covered- away from windows, keep you and the kiddos covered, etc.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 7:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Unless it's a tornado big enough to knock down your house, which, honestly, most aren't...you don't really need to worry about storing food and such. I live on tornado alley and we've been hit about 3 times in my lifetime by tornados and never once have we had the need for stored food.

At our house now, I do keep a small diaper bag with diapers, wipes, a few small toys, juice boxes, and crackers and fruit snacks in the cabinet under the sink in the bathroom under the stairs, which is where we go when we have tornado warnings...just in case DD needs something before the warning is over. Most of the time we just take blankets and pillows and the laptop in there and we watch cartoons on the computer until the warning is over, and DD loves it. She calls it her clubhouse. :P
    NIKopotamous

Answer by NIKopotamous at 7:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thank you ladies.... the kids are still in the closest... im having a hard time understanding this stupid warning. I am still in Tornado warning zone. Im watching the local news and they are saying that its out of my city but im right on the edge between two cities the one its headed for. My dad called and told me to get the kids in the closet and that to make sure we are covered if i hear what sounds like a train. I am so confused, I guess i will stay covered until they take the warning off. Thank you for your quick replies.
    Trotterswife

Comment by Trotterswife (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2010