How do you take your 5 year old's temperature?

I've been thinking of getting one of the forehead temp things, but not sure how good it would work. Right now, I just use a digital in her arm pit but it takes so long.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've always just done under the arm and added a degree...it takes longer, but it beats trying to get them to keep it in their mouth. And I'm not about to stick one in her bum at this age...and I've heard that the forehead and ear ones can be wrong by several degrees.
    NIKopotamous

Answer by NIKopotamous at 7:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• We always did under the arm and them add a degree.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• a 5 year old should be able to hold a therm on her mouth--they have ones now that can read in like 3 seconds and are pretty cheap. Check them out at your local pharmacy.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• She can't stop talking long enough to keep it in her mouth!
    Kiwismommy19

Comment by Kiwismommy19 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• They actually sell under the arm thermometers. I have one and that is all I use.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• There is a thermometer called Reli On. You touch it to the temple or forehead and it will give out a temp reading. I found it for $10.00 at Wal*Mart.

Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My DS is 3 and we have been using the Exergen Temporal Thermometer that you just swipe across the forehead to the temple. It's excellent & very fast and you can even take the child's temperature while they are sleeping. We got it at Walmart for about $30 and it's worth every penny. I even bought one for my Mom to keep at her house just in case & she has used it on herself & my Dad who can't get the concept of keeping a regular thermometer under his tongue. LOL! I highly recommend it and it's very accurate & easy to use.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010