want to know how you did it

i know my dogs are good with kids and babies but i want to make sure i introduce my dogs to our baby the right way when we bring her home

so what are some of the ways you introduce them to baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Pets

• We wrapped the baby in a blanket and had my mother take it home the day he was born (she was staying at our house while DH stayed at the hospital with us.) and she put it in the dogs bed. We also let them sniff at the baby while we held the child and DH pet the dog the day we came home. We also knew ours were good with kids due to lots of nieces and nephews.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Have someone take a blanket home from the hospital after your baby is born so your dog can get used to the baby's scent first.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 7:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree with the PP's. Wrap baby in a blanket you're not too sentimental about, and have DH, or another family member bring it home before you get home with baby, and put it their favorite spot. They'll get used to baby's scent, and after a sniff of baby when you come home, they'll most likely leave baby alone since they'll be used to it. I used to work at a Pet Hospital and that's what we encouraged our expecting clients to do.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Rub a cloth on your baby's skin and hair and have the dogs sniff it before they even see the baby. Rub a shirt or cloth on the dogs and put the shirt or cloth on the baby the first time they meet. Let them sniff the baby's hand. Call the baby by the dogs' names, such as Rex's baby, and Rover's baby. Lavish attention on the dogs when you have the baby there, so they associate the baby with something nice.

Answer by Bmat at 7:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010