IF YOU GOT YOUR DD A JOB, AND SHE HASN'T SAVED ANY MONEY TO APPLY FOR COLLEGE OR WHATEVER SHE MAY NEED, WOULD YOU FEEL GUILTY? LET ME NOT MENTION SHE IS 18 AND HAS GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL

VIRGA_KEMP

Asked by VIRGA_KEMP at 7:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• no thats her fault.
    USPS-I-DELIVER

Answer by USPS-I-DELIVER at 7:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Were you expecting that your daughter pay her own way through college? Or was this job going to pay for her books, and "odds and ends?"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• that sounds like something an 18 yr old would do, why would she save unless you made her? if she's living at home tell her she has to give you half for savings and pay her car stuff (like ins, payment, and gas) and whatever is left over she can have for fun spending. i wouldn't feel like it's my fault unless i never put my foot down and told her what i expected from her.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My sister just graduated. I'm not quite sure what it is you feel guilty about? You got her a job.... so.... what's the problem? She needs to work, she could prolly use the cash... idk. Your question doesn't make sense to me. My sister just graduated HS and she's been looking for a job since before she even graduated. Her job WAS janitorial work at the elementary school. Now that the year is out, she needs a new one. She's planning to do some volunteer work and missions related things before going back to college. She knows she's not going to get financial support from my parents because they can't afford it! She's making her own way. That's how it should be. It's called being an adult.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 9:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My daughter did the same thing. She signed up for college without asking us, then we agreed to help pay for it. She get's mad at us and moves out during the summer then moves back home with no job or money, we got her a job and now she's going to school and it's been hard on her working every weekend and going to school everyday. She makes enough money to pay for gas and her cell phone and that's it. I don't think you should feel guilty, our daughters should feel guilty for not planning ahead and thinking this through.
    tinamf

Answer by tinamf at 5:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Why would I feel guilty? My daughter is working now and making decent money though not enough to live on. When she is accpted to the program she wants to be in she will be going to school full time and will have to quit her job. I keep telling her to save some of that money now but she has not saved much. It's gonna be her loss when she doesn't have gas for her car. Good thing the College is 1/2 mile from our home.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• it is hard for kids at that age to save money. money in the pocket is money spent. at our age we undersand the significance of money and saving, but to them the amount of money they haveto save seems too huge for them to accomplish so they get to thinking- well why start, when the goal can never be accomplished. unless they already have another means of help, they already have a great understanding of how much money is needed for college. helping her out at her age, she probably isnt sure what she wants to do. my oldest just turned 20, graduated,and is a very smart person with computers, math, numbers, and other things, but is undecided, and altho works a full timejob, refuses to save for a car or place of his own, or even college, because he is unsure of where to get started. either you can be patient with your child, or they are too unbearable and have tobe sent to the wilderess to wake up their senses. that choice is yours.
    summerdawn3

Answer by summerdawn3 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• why would you feel guilty that she didn't save money? i don't get it. was there a discussion where she was told that her money would need to go toward her application and expenses? if she agreed and is being irresponsible, no... just tell her keep working and try next semester...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2010