My son is 14 months old and he will only eat sweet foods!

After switching from baby foods, our son has started to only want foods that are sweet! He pretty much only eats pancakes, cereal bars, yogurt, graham crackers and the occasional fruit. I've gotten him to eat pizza once and now he looks at it like it's poison. He screams and cries like someone is trying to hurt him if he is given anything else to eat.....except for cheese puffs and cheese rice cakes for snacks! Is this normal? Should I wait it out? Is it something I should change now or just wait for his "tastes" to change? I'm so afraid that by him eating the way he does, it will hurt him or he will never like savory foods! HELP!!!

hillarydn

Asked by hillarydn at 7:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give him the sweet foods you don't want him to have. If he refuses the others, then say OK all done and the meal is over. Try again maybe a half hour later, and another half hour. "Hunger is the best spice."

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I wouldnt even offer them to him. Some ppl may say that it will change. but it may not. my nephew is 7 and will only eat chicken nuggets macaroni oven pizza and french fries. its ridiculous hes done it since he was like 2...

i wouldn't offer him the sweet foods. id offer other foods, hell eat it if hes hungry.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Don't offer any...
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A HUNGRY child will eat- even if they are served something they so not like.

Simply stop feeding him junk, and when he is hungry, he will eat.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i would stop giving him sweet foods... he will eventually eat what you give him bcz he will get hungry!
    liltinymommy

Answer by liltinymommy at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Stop feeding him junk.. He will eat if he is hungry. Its going to take some patience on your part because its going it be a screaming battle but thats your job as a parent. He is in for an unhealthy life if he is eating only pancakes, cheese puff, ect... You need to retrain him to eat right. Good luck momma!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 7:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• He is 14 mo old, he will eat what you give him, or starve. Don't serve unhealthy sweet things. Whole grains, veggies, protien, fruit, dairy. He is 14 mo old, he may like only sweet things, who doesn't? But he eats what you provide, he has no other choice. Most kids will eat veggies and enjoy them, but really what kid is going to go for the asparugus over the cupcake if given a choice? You are the parent, this is his health and a lifetime of eating habits are being formed, provide healthy meals, and stick to your guns.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce
    cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix you get rself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This is a good time to start introducing new tastes and textures. Your son has developed a sweet tooth, and if you don't work on it now, it'll only get worse.

Try offering pancakes and waffles without syrup. My dd eats them that way...occasionally I'll add a tiny bit of syrup.

Nix the juice. Water and milk only.

The yogurt is ok, but buy the healthier varieties (without all of the artificial colors and stuff). Yo Baby is a good choice.

Cherries tomatoes are slightly sweet, and are fun to eat. Cut them in half before serving. Peas are also a good choice. I buy the frozen kind, and run them under warm water to thaw them. And of course there are sweet potatoes!

Cereal bars are ok once or twice a week, but they are full of sugar. Give him a small bowl of cheerios instead.

Don't feel bad-all kids go thru picky phases.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010