When did you potty train?

So, not too long ago a good friend of mine (who has no children) wrote on facebook about knowing a mom who has yet to potty train her kids and they are 3 years old. She called that mother lazy and a bunch of other insulting names to mothers who choose to wait due to bad parenting. I took offense by that bc I believe each child is different and it is on the parents who choose when their kids learn. I started to potty train my oldest when he was about 6 months away from 3 years old. But for my youngest I don't plan to start till he is around three just bc he is completely different than his older brother. No. There is nothing wrong mentally with my child, he just learns differently. My sister in-law was not ready to be potty trained well after 4 years old.. but she is an extremely smart and successful woman today. So, my question to you is do you find it is lazy and bad parenting to potty train later than earlier??

midnight11287

Asked by midnight11287 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest son started around 18 months. It only took a few weeks. My youngest (their 20 months apart) took his diaper off and peed in the potty at 16 months, he pretty much potty trained himself before 18 months. I consider myself very lucky. I know several children who were not potty trained until between 3 and 4. All kids are different some take longer than others. It in no way makes them a lazy parent. It's usually the people without children who seem to think they know everything about parenting.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 7:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• WOW! That is lucky! :) I noticed that also. I also have another friend that has no children that worked a lot in day cares and she says she has parenting and discipline all figured out now... I always just smile at her and say yup! lol.. no reason with arguing when they will learn first hand if they have their own children.
    midnight11287

Comment by midnight11287 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I thought I did to ( I worked in day care part time in high school ) I thought I knew everything when we decided to have our first son... boy was I wrong lol.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 7:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Kids learn at their own pace. My oldest son PT'd in 3 weeks at 2.5 years, my second son came to us mostly PT'd at 3, my first daughter PT'd in 2 weeks at 16 months, my second daughter PT'd at 3, she had a lot of problems so, I didn't rush her...my third daughter is slowly PT'ing at 17 months.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I really think it depends on the child. We started potty training our son around 2.5 years because I felt pressure to do it... that was a nightmare. He really was not ready. We kept on forcing the issue and it was a big source of stress for all of us. He ended up potty trained sometime after three- which is when we probably should have started training based on his actual readiness and not on what other people were telling us to do. With our first daughter we tried around 2.5 years again and she was really defiant and resistant, so we backed off. When she turned three I told her that they don't make diapers or pull ups for three year olds so she had to use the potty and she was fully trained within a week or so. My younger daughter was the easiest- we started training around 2.5 years and she picked it right up with no issues.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Victoria was completely potty trained 2 weeks before her third birthday this past January.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Nope, I let my children show me when they are ready to potty train. You can't force a child to potty train, they will do it when they are ready.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My daughter started at about 18 months, because she wanted to, but it took her a long time to "get it". My son pretty much refused to try, so we took pullups away right after his third birthday. The first few days were horrible, but it worked. He still has a few accidents, but he was trained for the most part within 2 weeks.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2010