How to do stop the whinning???

My dd whines ALL the time and it's driving me crazy!!! I have tried time outs and talking to her about how its not nice but, nothing works! Any advice??

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ignoring it has proven to be the best effect so far for us. I also tell my son if he wants to whine like a baby i'll gladly get him a pacifier and bottle and treat him like one. One of the two shuts him up right away.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 7:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Agreed. Ignore her when she does it. Tell her you refuse to talk with her when she is whining and walk into another room. If you are consistant..and do not give in she will stop. I have also told mine kids and g-kids if they want to act like a baby they will be treated like a baby and that means.. "no (whatever their favorite topys/activities are)"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I sometimes say, please go out of the room, come in and have a do-over, try again in a big girl / big boy voice. Or WOuld you like a do-over so you can try to talk so Mommy can understand you?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• When my children to this I simply tell them I cannot hear whining and go about doing what I was doing and ignore it. I do not repeat myself and do not acknowledge them until they talk correctly. At first there were a few times my daughter would whine and cry for 45 minutes or so, but after about a month I very rarely get whining and it usually ends as soon as I say I cannot hear whining. Age plays a factor though too. Mine are 5 and 3 years old and I am not sure I would try this method under 3 or so.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Completely agree Ignore the whinning.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• thanks...I have such a hard time ignoring it because it gets really loud and my neighbors (we live in an apartment) yell at me when she is being loud...is there maybe something else i could try???

momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I ignore it or say "I can't understand you when you are whining like that" and refuse to respond other than that until they stop whining.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2010