How do i get my 8 year old to understand that my 2 year old can't do as many chores ?

blue_eyedmomma3

Asked by blue_eyedmomma3 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have all the kids do chores even under 2 it can be easy ones like pick up the shoes or pick up toys.They think its cool to have a "job"
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• A chore list that you post may be a good "visual" that will re-inforce that everyone does their fair share. List an equal amount of chores for each family member so that no one feels "Picked apon". good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Explain to your 8 year old that a 2 yr old body is different. It is not as strong as an 8 yr old body. Plus, you know that they are really "good" at doing that particular chore and you feel that they are so responsible that you feel they can handle the responsibility. Plus 8 yr olds have the advantage of staying up later than their younger siblings. (smile)
    tropikanagirl

Answer by tropikanagirl at 8:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My 2 yr old does chores just not as many and they only apply to her things. I don't agree with kids doing dishes or other things because I feel that's mommmy work lol!! but for him to understand I think maybe to show him and explain in his language, meaning the 2 yr old can't go play alone outside right? he is too small. The 2 yr old can't ride a skate board right? so you see he is smaller and isn't as strong as you. so I need you to help a little more since you are the "big brother" lol!! good luck!!
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 8:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think he already knows it. I would give him some one on one time and maybe he will tell you he is feeling cheated, lonely, etc. and you can talk it out. My older daughter was like that with my younger one. When there is an age difference of five or more years, there really are differences in the way we treat our children. Sometimes the older one thinks the younger gets to do whatever she/he wants. (That may be a nugget of truth with the second born). Once you let him express what he is feeling and you connect, let him know you won't be discussing the chores anymore. That discussion is closed.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think the 8 year old knows a 2 year old can't do as much as them....they are just using it as an excuse. I also think at 2 they can do some things like pick up toys, heck mine likes to sweep and everything, though I always have to re do it! LOL!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• just make sure that if the 8 yr. old is doing something, then have ur 2 yr. old do something else but easier at the same time. That way it doesn't look like ur playing favorites, kids never really understand the age thing.
    mgm_5

Answer by mgm_5 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Be patient : Keep remind him...and smile when you say that!!!
    nick10581

Answer by nick10581 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I simply say " When you were his age you didn't have to do chores and now its his turn to play".
    Jenelle2508

Answer by Jenelle2508 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008