Is it bad that I don't want my mom taking my daughter to church?

I don't have anything against Christianity or anything, it's just that I would like my daughter to make her own decision about her beliefs when she gets old enough and not have me or my mom sway her one way or the other. Though, my mom still thinks I'm a christian, but I'm not. I don't really have a preference as far as organized religion goes. Basically I'm open to anyone's interpretations as far as faith goes. I just don't want my daughter forced into believing into in something. I want her to decide on her own. Hope this makes sense.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 8:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well....I believe they're going to make their own choice no matter if they're taken to church or not. If your uncomfortable with it, I would let her know.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Perfect sense. I'm more non-religious. Don't believe in anything, but I don't judge others that do.
    My mom tries sneaking daughter to church when she's over there, and I had to tell her if she wants Ki to visit, she has to promise not to send or take her to church. If she does, then Ki's not going back for a while.
    She still thinks my beliefs are a phase I'm going through. Longest damn phase, since I've felt this way since I was 14.
    When she gets old enough to choose for herself without family interference, I will let Ki go to church. But not while she is so young and willing to do whatever an adult says just to please them.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• How old is she? I don't see anything wrong with it. If she wants to take her and she wants to go then let her.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't think so. We've been getting very pressured to baptize our daughter. I think it would be wrong & sacreligious to fake being involved with a certain faith, JUST to baptize her. We have told everyone if she wants to get baptized into a church when she is older, that is fine, but it is her decision. You're not in the wrong.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I totally and completely agree with you. I am agnostic, however I grew up in a christian home and was forced to attend a Baptist boarding school during my high school years. I would never force my beliefs on anyone and I wouldn't want that done to my child either, so when he gets old enough I will tell him my views but tell him this is only my opinion and there are many more out there for him to pick on his own. So if you don't feel comfortable with your mother taking her to church then don't let her go and I would tell my mother this if I were you. You are a grown up and she should know how you feel whether she agrees with you or not.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't think it's bad. I won't become a member at a certain church but I let my kids visit every now and then with their grandmother, because it is her church, they get to be with her, see what she believes, and we are Christians which she knows, so it's not like against our beliefs.

Now would I let my kids go without me into a mosque or buddhist temple? I don't think so.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't understand how exposing her to beliefs in Faith is not giving her the free will to choose. I would let your Mom take her some. If you truly want to let her choose them you expose her to a lot of different beliefs. Forcing her to choose would be saying you can only go to this one place and you can't believe anything they don't agree with. Just sayin..
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• How will she know what to believe, Or who God is if no one takes her to church. Do you teach  her about the word?  Someone should.

TwinkleC

Answer by TwinkleC at 8:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i agree with you. i feel the same way. i dont like organized religions. i think they do nothing but cause problems, and war and things like that. im not sure how i feel if my mom wants to take my son or daughter to church one day. i let him get baptized and her throw the party because she really wanted me too, i wanted to get the money (presents) to put on a CD for him for when he grows up, and i thought it would just be a nice memory ... so i let her. but i dont know about going to church. i dont want him to be confused, or scared. i dont want them telling him hes a sinner or that hes going to hell. i dont want him being judgemental of other people, so i probably wont let her. maybe on christmas or something a couple times just to make her happy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• That's a hard one. In order for someone to make up their mind later in life on what to believe, they have to be educated on different faiths but a child is very vulnerable and their minds are easliy swayed... IMO, I wouldn't let her go until she is old enough to understand that she doesn't need to believe what they tell her there.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010