I thought my son's birth certificate was sealed???

I had my father in law get copies of my children's BCs because my file that I had them in was misplaced while we were moving. Anyways, he mailed them to me and the one he sent me for my son is his OBC w/o my husband down as his dad and therefore invalid. I thought is was sealed or something and how do I get the correct one? Please don't make this into a debate on changing BCs.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 8:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Adoption

• You have to contact the county that keeps the BC on file.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It's the county that the adoption was done in, I believe. And we had to give OUR names and his name & DOB to get our amended (adoption) one. Hope that helps. That is odd, that you got the other one...
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am not sure which county. I suspect that Doodle is right. If that doesn't work, you can try calling the lawyer who finalized your adoption.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 9:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The adoption was like three years ago. My husband wasn't on the original, my FIL gave them his birthday, and both of our names. UGH... We have gotten an amended BC for him I just misplaced it.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I called the state office in GA and they are embarrassed that I got the old record and are sending me a "complimentary" copy of my son's amended BC today. This is punishment enough to NEVER loose the BCs again.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• But you have your son's OBC if he ever wants to see it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yea. I kept both boys' OBCs anyways, just in case.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If it was Alaska or Kansas, they don't seal the originals.

But in all other states they do; like you said, it most likely was a super-embarassing mistake for them.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010