Spoon feeding

DD is 6 mos old. The last few times I've fed her baby food with a spoon she has taken the spoon away from me and tried to feed herself. Aside from the fact that tonight we carrotts up her nose, in her ears, and on the back of her head, she actaully managed to get about 3 bites. Should I let try to feed herself or should I take the spoon away and keep feeding her until she's a little older?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her feed herself! I never fed my son - he started self feeding at 7 months.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• id feed her when she really needs to eat, but id also give her opportunities to dig in herself! She'll only learn to use her spoon when given the chance to.

Let her get dirty sometimes with it :)
    She'll have fun and you can get a lot of cute pictures!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Other than times where you needed her to stay clean i would let her do it herself :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Let her try. She may be ready for something like baby led weaning, which is small mushy bites, rather than from a spoon.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Definitely let her try to do it her self...that is if you don't mind have one messy lil baby lol It will be messy for a awhile and of course you can help direct where the food needs to go just as long as she feels she is doing it her self. Its definitely a fun learning experience. My son is just now 18 months old and still getting the hang of keeping food on the spoon til it gets to his mouth lol :) enjoy these fun learning times
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This happened with our daughter, too! She loves feeding herself - it's so cute!!! Let her continue to figure it out, you've got a smart little girl. :)
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i let my ds do it sometimes.. he is 7 months
    ashleetoe

Answer by ashleetoe at 10:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• let her try, just giver her a little yourself now and then to make sure she gets some in her belly and it all doesn't wind up in her hair.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• A baby that young can't spoon feed. Fork mash food and let your baby feed himself with his hands.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i use to give my daughter a spoon to do it herself, but i also had a spoon to feed her. it is good pratice that way and you know she is still getting the food. it will be messy though!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 11:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2010