Pick one?

So here's a true story that I thought I'd share, because I'm curious about people's reactions.

So my mother's aunt could not have children. She wanted a baby desperately. She met a woman who had something like 10 or 11 kids. She was telling this woman how much she wanted a kid. So the woman says to her "You want one? Pick one." So SHE DID!!! She just picked one of the kids and took him home and raised him like her own. This was my mother's cousin. He's now in his late 50's or so.

No formal adoption, nothing. Just some lady shows up and takes him home and he never sees his family again.

How weird is that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've never heard of that happening before. and i think its weird.. idk if i even think its true. it may be though!! just beyond normal that it seems un real lol

good for the new mom... REALLY sad for the son. and the bio mom... sorry.. what a B... to just give away your child like that? like NOTHING.... thats sad
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Very strange situation, does the son know what happened?
    MommyToTwo0408

Answer by MommyToTwo0408 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• WOW, glad no one reported her as kidnapping the child.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my husbands aunt was just taken in by friends of the family when their parents died in a car accident (there were too many children for the eldest sibling to care for) ..... anyhow long story short there was also no formal adoption- they are still looking for her :( Also when my mom was a baby and had a couple siblings my grandparents were at an aviation show and a well off couple (who couldn't have children) offered to pay for my mom if they could have her- obviously my grandparents said no but it happened none the less. I dont believe it use to be illegal back in the day....
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have a similar story. My MIL's sister's husband was the 4th child of 14 children. He grew up during the post Depression era, in a poor coal mining town--Shenandoah, PA. His parents hit some tough financial times, and they decided it was HE who would be sent to an orphanage!!! His 2 older brothers and older sister were almost grown, and the parents figured they were more of a help than a hindrance, so they kept them!

Can you imagine being the ONLY child sent to an orphanage?! He never saw his parents again. He had a TON of emotional baggage to deal with, but he did, and he is a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I call BS on that story, sorry.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• WOW! That is strange but I have heard of this before and back then kids weren't tracked everywhere they went and everything they did. Back then half the time they didn't even notice if a child wasn't in school for the day! I have family members around that age(50/60 ish) and they walked alone to school/store/relatives houses or even down to the river to swim when they were 5 or 6 years old! If a person had many kids the state or doctor probably didn't notice if one was suddenly gone and if you got a child from another person once you registered them in school the whole state just assumed that you where their Mother and they were your son/daughter! But it's still a very odd situation!!!!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 9:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010