My daughter might have autism?Help

She will be 4 in October. I took her to a dr. check up last week and he said she may have autism. She fidgets a lot, never sits still, lines her toys up, walks on her tip toes, twists her hands together, not corrdinated ( ex. cant peddle a bike, cant walk in flip flops, falls down A LOT). She has an app. at a mental health place on Thursday, kinda nervous about it. Any one else have children with autism that do any of those things?

AWebber212

Asked by AWebber212 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son does all those things but the wringing of the hands. He still flaps on occasion if he sees something he really likes.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't have any kids with autism, but I work with kids with autism. It does sound like it, but don't jump to any conclusions yet. Also remember that she is still your little girl and that she is special no matter what. This is not the end of the world and there are lots of things that will help you and your dd out along the way if it is autism.
    reava

Answer by reava at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my niece is autistic and does all of those things

kind of stares into space a lot....

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No, but the hallmarks of autism are language development problems, social retreat (prefer to be alone), sensory problems (sounds, light, etc. are overwhelming), and repetitive behavior (hand flapping, organizing toys, opening and closing closets or drawers. Read more about autism here: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-autism.htm
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My son has autism and he isn't too coordinated. He couldn't climb on the couch by himself until he was 2 years old. He fidgets and loves lining his toys up, too. Just take it 1 day at a time and remember...the little girl you walk in that appointment with will still be the same little girl after no matter what the results are. =) *HUGS*
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The symptoms you have described are all typical behaviors of autism and are all things my own son did, except for the hand wringing. Getting a full developmental evaluation is the first step toward getting your DD the help she needs, and no matter the final diagnosis, just remember that your DD is still your DD; She will be the same child after she is diagnosed as she was in the few moments before she was diagnosed. I do have one suggestion, though, because of the hand wringing, request genetic testing to evaluate for Rett Syndrome, which in its early stages looks very much like an Autism Spectrum Disorder. In general, at least around here, girls are usually checked for Rett Syndrome anyway (and boys are checked for Fragile X), so you may not have to ask for it, but keep it in mind just in case nobody does recommend doing it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My 16 year old son is autistic. He is a great and funny kid. It's not the end of the world and like all the moms answered, she is still the same kid as before the diagnosis. Get her in the appropreate help but treat her as you always have, like your little girl!! If you want to chat just PM me.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Have you thought about doing any research on nutrition and autism? There is some great info out there regarding a diet without gluten, dairy and sugar, anything processed. It's could be worth a try.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010