Do you think public school are teaching your kids what they need?

TwinkleC

Asked by TwinkleC at 9:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think school is every the only source of education that children. I believe that my children are learning what they need through public school, my husband and I, the YMCA program they go to, and the extra curricular activities they attend. I think they are very well rounded. I do not think that one should rely only on school (either public or private) as the sole source of learning for their children.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yes. what they need is social skills, independance, a highschool diploma and to be willing and able to go to college and do well in college and get a degree in order to get a good career. thats what you usually get from public school.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• No... I think they don't focus on the basics. It's my job to teach my kid to bake brownies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I hope so since that's where she's going come August 3rd.
    So far, the public preschool has went above and beyond what I expected.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes, what they need and more... Our schools are great!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think they are leaving out a TON of life skills !!!!! Like legal knowledge and how to do taxes and how to REALLY cook! Also repair skills (boys tend to learn this more than girls) but anyhow like how to basically fix your own car or house... stuff like that. Also I think parents lack in teaching these skills too!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes! I am THRILLED with the education my children receive! Just the fact that they are learning concepts as much as 2-3 years earlier than I did when I was in school, makes me think they are going to get even more of an education than I did--and I thought mine was top notch!

But, of course, we'll keep a close eye, and if need be, we'll send them to private school.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• They teach them ok.. but things like balancing a checkbook, how to deal with your boss/landlords, or basic life skills should also be taught. Ill never use trigonometry (or remember it) in my life, but I could have used knowledge on how to fix a hole in the wall.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 9:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010