what to feed this little baby???

i just got a 6 week old pup and she hardly has teeth she cant even eat this moist dog food..what do i feed her?

youngandafraid

Asked by youngandafraid at 9:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Pets

• the pet store should have a feeding system you can use until she is able to eat solid foods.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can wet dry food until it is like mush and she will lap it up or you can give her some rice baby cereal. They also have puppy weaning formula at the pet store that is a little thicker.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 9:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Be careful about feeding a puppy adult food. They can't get enough nutrition from it. It sounds as though the pup needs puppy milk, which you should be able to get in a pet food store. Or try canned puppy food.

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I used a blender to make the puppy food like a power texture and mixed it with water at first (similar to baby cereal), as the puppy learned to eat the soupy mixture I began making the mixture thicker until I was able to feed him the puppy food chunks soften in water.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 10:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can get puppy formula at wal mart. I wish they would have had it back when I still lived at home. Then maybe booboo kitty would have lived. He was as big as my pinky. Poor runt.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Why do you have a 6 week old puppy? It should not be away from its mother until 8-12 weeks old. It is illegal in my state to take them before 8 weeks. Go and get the puppy formula or stage two formula from walmart or petsmart. You can give it straight or mix it with a little wet food to make a soup like mixture. Puppies should not be taken from their mother's that young bc they are still nursing at least a little and they still need the socialization with its siblings and needs to be taught manners from its mother. Puppies taken too early often end up with a lot of behavioral problems later on. If it is a rescue situation then make sure the puppy has interaction with an older dog who can help socialize it properly.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• You can buy formula at Walmart but their puppy bottle probably won't do. I buy a preemie bottle (Family Dollar carries them) or a regular bottle, judging by how big the pup's mouth is. The set I'm raising right now I'm using one of those bottles with the bags... I had to buy a few to suit them, little buggers. Hope your puppy is okay!
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Puppy Chow with water on it to soften it. The teeth will be coming in soon. they need hard things to cut their teeth on.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• DO NOT feed that puppy puppy chow. There is nothing in it but corn and fillers. It will make the puppy sick.

If possible, take the puppy back to wherever you got it and tell them you will be back in 2 weeks to pick up the puppy. If she hardly has any teeth, this probably means she is younger than six weeks and is closer to 4.

Feed her some baby rice cereal mixed up with warm water. NO MILK!!! She lacks the enzymes to digest it..as do cats.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would call a vet and see about getting some Puppy formula for it. It seems as if he is going to need more than just dog food if he is that young that he doesn't have teeth yet.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 5:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010