Wants to change clothes all the time....

My 3 year old wants to change clothes constantly. He changes approx. 7-8 times a day. The problem is he has to have someone's help to change so that's what we spend most of our time at home doing (I know we should never have started it but it's crazy how quick something like this gets out of hand). His room is never clean because he pulls things out of every drawer (antique dresser not very conducive to drawer locks) . I am at my wits end because when we deny him huge temper tantrums ensue. I don't give into the tantrums and we do time out but it isn't getting any better. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why don't you get him some dress up stuff that can be easily put on? I know they have like fireman coats and police officer hats and stuff for boys to play with. Maybe that will deter him from changing his whole outfit.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Lock his clothes in a big trunk of closet or something. Have him pick out one set of clothes the night before. Have a back up for spills or accidents in another location and that's it for the day. After a while of doing it this way you may be able to put them back in his dresser and he'll leave them alone.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• haha this is so normal and really simple to fix actually. Choose three or four outfits , put them on the bottom shelf, now pack everything else away - go with the idea of one on , one off and one in the wash, like our parents had when they grew up. Our kids have mountains of clothes they don't need. They need a handful of outfits - thats it. Then he can alternate between those only.
    Another idea is get a couple of dress up items - a superhero cape with an elastic neck ( he can pull on and off himself) , hats, beads, doctor coat - tell him they are special for him.
    All the practice with the clothes is actually really good -this is how they learn to do it themselves -I have had 4 kids and they all went through it. Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My 4 year old daughter used to do that all the time when she was 3!! I couldn't really stop her, her dresser is right in the open and just her height and she would throw a huge fit!! So we just let her do it but she had to dress herself and pick up ALL the clothes when she was done and put the clean clothes back and put the dirty ones in the laundry room! She didn't want to at first but we just told her if you want to change your clothes all day you are going to have to, she did this for the longest time and got sick of it and the phase passed, Thankfully!!!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My 3 year old has been in this phase for about a year. She used to get up after I put her to bed and take all her clothes out of her dresser and change into something new. I didn't and still don't care that she changes her clothes but like truluv4ever said she must pick up her clothes when she is done. Maybe you tell him he can change his clothes but he has to try to learn how to do it himself that way you won't have to spend all day helping him. Or you could pick out a really special outfit each day and when he asks to change his clothes mention how special the outfit he has on is. The dress up clothes idea was good too, maybe that would help him learn to dress himself. Good luck!

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2010