• In the Spotlight:

Chosen people

Why do some religions claim that their followers are 'chosen people' and what does it mean?
What does it leave everyone else with?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 9:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For the same reason they claim their deity is on their side when they wage war on a neighboring province.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm not really sure.

Superiority complex? A way to convert people so they'll think if they get in with the "cool kids" they'll have a better chance at salvation?

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I wanna join the cool kids! I have no idea who the chosen people are or why people claim to be them.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• What does it leave everyone else with?
    Well, it leaves everyone with their own thoughts, and their own minds to decide what they are worthy of. I don't feel any "less" b/c some random religion feels they are the special "chosen" ones. Chosen for what, I ask?! Chosen for forgiveness? Chosen for groveling for eternity? Chosen for admittance to their horrible human selves?
    No thanks!
    I embrace all that I am, including the parts of me that need continual work. I am left with my own path to walk; despite the "chosen" people surrounding me:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• they can be chosen but we have the cookies ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I LOVE COOKIES
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Honestly, I feel its to keep people seperated.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• From what I understand, at least in Jewish thought, being "chosen" isn't about being better, but about being the vehicle through which God works for the good of all mankind. I'd have to go look for a quote/source though...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• chosen people are the ones to reside in the heavens as priest and the rest of us are here on earth to carry out the commision to make disciples.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The Jews are Gods chosen people. That does not mean the rest of us are not worthy. Jesus died on the cross for all of (wo)mans sins. He knew and still chose to die for us. It clearly states in the bible everything we need to do for salvation. Regardless of the choosen. I wish I knew the exact words but I have never been good at relaying things. But this I know Jesus loves us all(and so does God)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010