rear facing carseat question

I want to know if when people say to rear face until 2 years and 30 lbs instead of 1 year and 20 lbs, does that mean once the child has reached either 2 years OR 20 lbs, or has reached both 2 years AND 30 lbs. And if it's both then what do you do about the skinny little kids that don't weigh 30 lbs until they're 4 or 5 years old? (which I suspect my daughter may very well be)

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am going to chose which ever comes latter. My ped told me at my son's 1yr to keep him RF until I felt ready to change him, but it was the best bet to keep him RF until at least 2 because head control.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 10:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I rear face my kids longest possible. My 2.5 yr old is RF and will continue. My dd's RF'd until 3 and almost 4 years old. The longer the better. To answer your question, I would choose the 30 lbs over 2 years old.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• IDK. Personally I am RF DS untill he is 2 years old. It has to do with how the bones of the neck develope, as well as their size. DS is currently 18 months and 32 pounds, 33 inches tall.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I dont know. I choose to turn my children around and 1 and 20. (GASP! call CPS)
    silverdawn99

Answer by silverdawn99 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I plan on buying the seat that rear faces until 35lbs. and keeping my child rear facing until then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010