is anyone astounded by people going on strike in this economy?

really, states and cities are cutting budgets, taking paycuts...even the people at the top. it seems like people should be happy to have a job. am i missing something here?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree with you...it's crazy...and I'm a new teacher! People SHOULD be grateful they have a secure job, and take a pay increase freeze. We're not talking about a lot of money! I would rather keep my job and current salary, than go on strike or potentially lose it over $1000 dollars!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Some people don't have a choice if they work for a union. But ya, I sure wouldn't want to go on strike right now! I'd be in major trouble.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yeah, last year some grocery workers went on strike because their union decided that their raise wasn't going to be enough. Hell, many companies are freezing wages for a year or so, those people should have been happy. They also bitched because benefits were going to go up. They hardly paid anything to begin with. What's bad was that many of the employees didn't even want the strike, it was their union's doing.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• ok I agree about being grateful to have a job but what about people who have taken crap for so so long? My SO's company has treated them badly for almost a yr now-in too many ways to name and they are not union nor are they intending to be. At some point people get fed up and have to take a stand, bad economy or not. At some point you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirro and feel proud of who you are and what you stand for, not just employed.
    Nothing changes if nothing changes. and who respects anyone who allows themselves to be treated like crap? just another perspective.....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• thanks jen. i think i was more surprised by unions doing this...thank you for bringing up another point of view. i think that if a company treats its employees badly, then, ideally the employees would seek employment elsewhere, or adjust their work efforts accordingly. in an ideal world, the employer that doesn't treat the employees well should probably go out of business, don't you think?
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2010