Curious about boys...

My older daughter is 6 years old and is getting curious about boys. A few weeks ago she saw my sister in-law changing her 3 year old son’s diaper and she noticed for the 1st time that he is different than her. Later on in the day they were in the kiddy pool together and she was trying to make him pull his pants down so she can see his penis. I of course was terrified, scare and embarrassed all I could think of doing was taking her out of the pool and putting her on time out. Till this day I haven't address the issue with her and I know I have to, but I really don’t know how to go about it or where to start. I’m really scare to touch the subject and unsure of what to say or do when she asks me questions. What should I do? How can I go about this? What's the best advice all the experienced moms could give me?

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 10:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well kids are naturally curious. There are lots of books out there for her age about the body. I don't think she should be punished for this because she just wants to know. I think you should only answer what she wants to know. Be honest with her but also age appropriate.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Continuation.....
    The help is going to go a long way because I got two girls and I know I would have the talk again with the little one. Thank You...
    GodPRKitty

Comment by GodPRKitty (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Thank you...
    GodPRKitty

Comment by GodPRKitty (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This is why I do not understand parents waiting to talk sex with their kids at young ages. I was 6 when I had my first "kiss" tongue and all... People think I'm nuts because, I start talking to my kids from the time they know their body parts, but it's something that is very very important and something they need to understand long before it comes up at school or with friends. You need to explain to your daughter that boys & girls are different... There are children's books that can and will help with the subject if you aren't comfortable, but I would suggest you talk to her before she asks someone you don't want talking to her...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I also have always talked to my kids about this stuff. They had books when they were infants about body parts. I would get a book like JayRo00 suggested.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010