Is it really safe to keep a child RF'ing when the legs are obviously bent? Arent there specific instructions in the manuals not to do this?

silverdawn99

Asked by silverdawn99 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Think of it this way - if they break a leg you can put it in a cast - if they break their neck.........well you know
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• What is that?
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't know what RF'ing is, but it doesn't sounds like something you would want to do to your child.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes it's safe, kids are comfortable with they're legs bent, it's better to have broken legs than a broken neck, and no there is nothing in the manuals against it. The only thing lengh-wise that matters is how high the child's head is compared to the back of the carseat. I'm sure someone else will give you more specific information.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Rf'ing is keep them facing the back of the seat as long as possible. Like how you would put an infant carrier.
    silverdawn99

Comment by silverdawn99 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• But would you be comfortable sitting that way for long periods of time? Dont they make safe carseats that you can turn around?
    silverdawn99

Comment by silverdawn99 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It's not that the car seats aren't safe facing forward it's that it's safer for the child to be rear facing because children have less head and neck control than adults and really all seats would be safer in the rear facing position due to sheer physics. It allows the seat to absorb most of your shock.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 10:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• In all honesty- I say ask your doctor! My doctor told me that it isn't necessary to keep her (my daughter) RF'ing for any longer than a year and the weight requirement. He said it's perfectly fine to have her FF'ing once she is a year old and meets the weight requirement. But my friends doctor told her to keep her RF'ing until about 2 years. So I don't think it makes a huge difference when you do it, I would just say talk to your doctor! Good luck with everything!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• There are less broken legs rear facing a tall kid than broken necks forward facing a smaller kid. Not to mention, I would much rather break a leg than a neck.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• This will help answer your question
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8&feature=related
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 10:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2010