Rice cereal

How much should I give my 5 month old?? I usually mix one ounce of formula and enough cereal to make it a little thick. I don't let him finish the whole bowl, should I let him finish it??

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 10:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes if he still wants it why not?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• if he will eat the whole bowel why not?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• follow his appetite, but if you don't want him eating just cereal you can give him fruits and veggies.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yeah if he wants it. then if he is tolerating it well you can add a veggie a day soon!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Give him as much as he wants because when he goes in to the toddler years he wont be eating much. I have a 19 month old and when she was baby she ate like crazy and still cryed after food was finish. Now I got to fight with her to eat...lol... Take advantage as long as he is willing to eat because soon he will fight not to...
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 10:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Always offer formula first. If he has drank his formula than you can let him finish it :) Hell tell you when hes full :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yes it depends on the baby if he wants it feed him
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 1:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Always the formula first. Rice cereal is really just filler, and you can just skip it. It tastes horrible and babies can't digest grains. and other solids they aren't efficient at digesting because their gut is still immature. Instead go with tastey naturally soft things like avocado, ripe pear, butternut squash, sweet potato, lightly cooked blueberries etc. There is no need to puree things. Just lightly fork mash. Personally I would wait until the baby initiates and is older (better tongue control, makes chewing motions, can pick up food to bring to mouth, more mature gut). No jars no purees.

My baby ititiated solids at 7 1/2 m (is 9m) and there is no fruit or veggie she won't try and nothing she has refused. That includes beets, asparagus, kiwi, parsnips, onions, guacamole, 3 bean chili, hummus...etc. No teeth! We meal share. Food before 1 is just for fun. Rice cereal is neither fun nor tasty :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2010